I may never take this off. This cardigan was inspired by the fabric. It's not anything fancy. It's just something I found on a trip to Joann's for thread. You know how that goes. You only go in to pick up some thread and... It's a double sided knit. Polka dots on one side, stripes on the other. Actually, I think this would be considered double cloth since it seems to be two knits fused together at the dots. I have used some of this same knit before to make crawling baby pants for Jane a while ago. It is really soft and spongy and has some drape because of the weight. But not a lot of recovery. So I bought it knowing it would be perfect for a drapey cardigan. One that would show off both sides of the fabric.
I cleaned out my pattern stash recently. I was ruthless. Since I began sewing all the time five or so years ago, I have bought patterns with reckless abandon. Mainly big four patterns when they are on major sale at Hancock or Joann's. I had a huuuuge pattern stash with no chance of ever making all of them up. I got rid of everything that I didn't love. I donated them to a local thrift store that has a giant crafting section so I know they'll go to good homes. And I've whittled my pattern stash down to just what I intend to make. I'm also vowing to not buy any more patterns unless I am serious about making it up. We'll see how that goes. I think I've already bought four or so since that cull. Oops.
Anyway, this Burda 7184 pattern survived the pattern stash purge. I'm generally a fan of Burda patterns, magazine or envelope. So I kept this one. It was perfect for this fabric. The pattern has a two piece raglan sleeve. The sleeve is not a very close fitting one. I bet you could make this pattern up in some sort of wool knit or coating and it would be a great jacket. Maybe even in a ponte knit. I made the longer version with pockets. I did size down to a 38 thinking the pattern pieces looked oversized. I'm glad I did. I normally make a 40 in Burda patterns. I hemmed the front by flipping under twice and straight stitching. The front hems shouldn't need to stretch much. I made it up exactly as the pattern directed except for the neck facing. The neck facing is a small piece of binding that you sew on to the back neckline and flip inside to finish the edge. I inserted a piece of 1/4" elastic when I flipped the binding inside. I wish I had taken a picture. The elastic keeps the back neckline from stretching way out since the knit fabric is so heavy. Helps it keep it's shape.
I love it. It's like wearing a bathrobe that is acceptable to wear in public. It's perfect for weekend wear. This project was a win. Like I said, I may never take it off.