Monday, July 12, 2010

The High and Wide



Making these pants was a very long journey, even though the actual sewing part was quick and easy. I saw The Kate Jeans by stitchywitch on Burdastyle back in March and fell in love with them. I had been looking around for a high waist pants pattern, but was unsure about how they would look on my hips or just my size in general. I am a size larger on the bottom than on the top. I followed the link to her blog and read all about them. (This was also my first introduction to sewing blogs, so thanks! I've enjoyed snooping around ever since.) I was inspired. I went out the same day and bought the pattern (sale at Hancock, I never buy a pattern at full price) and some navy linen. I think I may have even cut out the pieces that night or the next day. Then, I chickened out. I became convinced that they weren't going to work for me. I think I read some of the comments about how they were flattering on people who are in shape. So, I put the pattern pieces in a stack of things cut out but not made. Am I the only one who does that? I cut things out fairly often and then move on to something else before I've sewn it.

I actually forgot about it for a long time. My husband and I moved in to a new house and so all the sewing stuff was packed up in boxes for two months. Then when we unpacked, I found them and decided to just go ahead and sew them up, whether they looked good on me or not.




I was blown away. First, they were super easy to sew. It may have taken me two hours all together, and I had to change the zipper at one point. Second, they fit without a single alteration. I laughed a little when I read that on stitchywitch's blog because I always have to alter things, but they really did fit. I have a 27.5" waist and 40" hips. I cut a 14 but went to a 12 in the waist and I think I made my darts a little deeper than on the pattern pieces. They are tight in the waist, but I that is what makes them so flattering. The are comfortable to sit in, too, though the linen seemed to stretch out a little after wearing them all night. I'm not sure what I can do about that. And the funny thing is that they don't seem as high waisted in my pictures as they feel when I 'm wearing them. I guess I'm not used to wearing pants like this. My only negative is that there was not enough length for me to hem them to wear with heels. I just barely hemmed them and I'm wearing them with flats. I like the way they hit the ground, but there's not enough there for any kind of heel. I'm kind of tall, though- 5"9". If you are taller, definitely add length.
I wore them to a friend's birthday party last weekend and they made me feel like a million bucks. I like the pattern because it is vintage without be overly vintage, if you know what I mean. I showed them to my mom thinking they were sort of 1940's, but she said she wore pants like this in the 70's with a cropped aviator type jacket. They are definitely from an past era. I felt that they were extremely flattering. The wide leg is what makes them so great. I just wish now I had made them three months ago so I could have been wearing them the whole time! I would definitely make this pattern again. And thanks, stitchywitch for introducing me to the pattern. I would have overlooked if not for your version.


I also made my necklace. Nothing too special, just a cool pendant from Michael's and a flower bead I had on a piece of leather. It was supposed to be a girly, from the garden, vintage sort of necklace. I thought it was great until my husband said it reminded him of Silence of the Lambs. Oh well.

9 comments:

  1. I really love these trousers! I really loved Stitchywitch's version too, but I'm having the same worries about the trousers looking any good on me... they look fantastic on you though, so I think this pattern shall have to go in my 'maybe' list. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them on you! I'm glad my jeans inspired you to make your own - they are so flattering! I agree about the length - I'm 2 inches shorter than you, and I was surprised that they weren't longer (I can wear mine with heels, but only just.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your site via burda style- LOVE these pants! I have only sewn kid's clothing- just learned to sew this past January, so I'm a little scared to sew anything "big".... but I just might have to give these a try- they are adorable on you! Thanks for sharing :) -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, thanks for your nice comment on my blog - it led me over to yours and I've been oo-ing and ah-ing at your creations. Go handmade! Woop! These trousers are particularly stunning. Once I get enough sewing experience I will definitely have to try this pattern. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you make one pair of "Katherine Hepburn" pants, you never go back. They're great, you did a lovely job. Linen does relax a bit with wear, its part of the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to make the same pattern later this year and stumbled across these posts -- your pants and skirt using this pattern turned out fabulously! I'm excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had to come looking for your post on these trousers after reading your comment on my blog (thank you!!) They are gorgeous and look absolutely great on you. The colour is fantastic. I did think the crotch length was meant to be that long as they do feel very, very comfortable, so will probably not change it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like these. i've been looking for some sort of vintage inspired high waist pants and these might do the trick. they look great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I am so right there now with teetering on the edge of making trousers. You can probably tell I just discovered your blog and am reading to catch up.... I am so afraid the patterns I've picked will not fit me and I'll be so disappointed. I know there's the muslin option, but I honestly don't have enough training (that would be NO training) to know what to do to fix them if they were tight here or poofy there.

    ReplyDelete