Sunday, October 28, 2012

Does This Dress Make Me Look Pregnant?

Well, I hope so.

Because I am!

Yes my friends, I am with child, in the club, have a bun in the oven, a pea in the pod, in the family way, cooking one up, preggers, knocked up...


All of the above. (Can you tell I had fun looking up phrases for pregnant? Up the duff was another strange one.)  There seems to be a sewing blogger baby boom going right now.  This little bump actually just appeared this week.  I swear it showed up overnight.  I'm hoping I'm beyond the point of did she eat too many doughnuts or is she pregnant? Lol.  I do love a good doughnut.

All silliness aside, I am over the moon about being pregnant.  J and I are so excited.  We actually discovered I was preggo two days before we left for St. John back in August.  That was an interesting plane ride, which is a long story for another day.  I've spent the last couple of months giggling for no reason and oohing and ahhing over all sorts of tiny things.  I'm seventeen weeks along right now.  Little one will be here in early April.  We can't wait.


The only down side of being pregnant is the tiredness.  I knew it was a side effect, but I had no idea how extreme my fatigue would be.  Hence the lack of sewing and blogging around here lately.  I get home from work and crash on the couch.  I've been enjoying taking it easy.  No guilt here.  I go to bed super early.  I'm trying to get in all the sleep I can now.  And I've read quite a few good books in my down time (not just baby books!).

But I did finally manage to finish a dress.  And it's a dress that will see me through my pregnancy, no less.  I made up McCall's 6553.  I know this dress is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm in love with it.  I actually had plans to make this dress long before I was pregnant in a lightweight drapey linen.  I know this pattern has received a fair bit of criticism of just being a big sack. But Sallie's blue ikat dress and Ginger's lovely version convinced me otherwise.  Both ladies look fantastic in their makes.  Ok, ok, so on me it is a sack.  But I think it's a sack with a really nice shape.  The pleat in the back gives it such unique volume, though I'm not sure it translates well in a knit.  The high low hem makes it modern.  This is not your ordinary sack dress.


After discovering I was pregnant, I bumped up this dress in my sewing queue. I decided I wanted to make it in a knit for extra growing room.   The pattern claims it can be made in double knit.  I rebelled and chose a super soft modal knit from my stash.  Maybe not the best choice because it was a pita to sew.  But boy is it comfy to wear now that I'm finished.  

I went down two sizes- one because I knew there was a ton of ease in this pattern plus another size down because I was using a knit.  I probably should have gone down one more, though the knit I used is crazy stretchy.  I ended up taking it in under the arms almost two inches on each side tapering to the pockets.  I skipped the belt and belt openings.  I also just sewed the top of the keyhole closed and put three pearly white buttons there.  I have two more buttons left that I may add.  I had some trouble where the back yoke pieces meet with the pleat.  The knit I used made the pleat extremely heavy.  I tried to stabilize it with some hand stitching, but you can see the pull there anyway.  There is some wonkiness where I slip stitched the facing to the yoke.  The facing was interfaced with a fusible tricot and never quite matched the shape of the back yoke piece.  C'est la vie.  There is no hem.  I tried to hem it, I really did.  All of my attempts were ripply and wavy.  I had to cut off the bottom inch and leave the hem raw.  It's as even as I could make it.  Any suggestions for hemming a very stretchy, soft knit?


The silhouette is so different for me and I was really surprised by how much I like it.  I had a moment during the process where I thought it looked like Amish pajamas, if there is such a thing.  Maybe that's what you're thinking right now, lol.  I love that I have lots of choices with this dress.  It's like a blank canvas.   I'll probably wear it with leggings and a cardigan most of the time.  But if I need to dress it up, I can put on some heels and a pretty necklace.  I think I actually prefer it without a belt. 


And there it is.  A seventeen week little baby bump.  When I first found out I was pregnant, I had big plans for making tons of maternity clothes.  But now that I'm almost halfway through (ack!) I know not to be too ambitious.  Sewing and blogging may be sporadic here the next few months.  There are a couple of knit things I'd love to make.  I also want to attempt a pair of maternity pants when I'm farther along.  And of course I'm sewing for the nursery!  J is actually hard at work putting in baseboards and trim as I write this.  We'll see.  There's truly only one important thing I'm making right now anyway ;)

And thanks so much for all the great advice about thread from my last post.  I'm actually pretty confident in the longevity of Coats and Clark now, but I'm going to try out a few other brands to see what my machine likes best. 


71 comments:

  1. Massive congratulations!! How exciting! And that dress is beautiful on you - most definitely not a sack that's for sure. As for the tiredness, it should hopefully subside by your 5th month... months 5, 6 & 7 were a bit of an energy surge for me! Back to tired by the 8th though, and I think I've been tired ever since ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You will get a burst of energy in the next couple of weeks that will allow you to get some things done. But enjoy this time with your husband because things are about to get exciting in your part of the world! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! What a sweet little bump you have - and there is no mistaking that for too many doughnuts! And I love a good sack dress - that one is lovely & perfect for a teeny bump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You look glowing and wonderful! Babies are so very much fun to sew for too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You dress looks fantastic and your baby bump is so cute! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! What wonderful news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! The dress looks great, my favorite version so far, and so cute with the bump!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! And, I must say this is one of my favorite blog pregnancy announcements ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh congratulations on the baby news! And fabulous dress. I personally love it with the belt, but hey - you're the one who is wearing it and has to feel fantastic in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoop! Congratulations! That is wonderful news! And it's funny, because I actually thought about sending you a message a few weeks ago to make sure you were okay. But I thought that would be stalky weird, coming from someone unknown internet blogger person, and that you were probably just swapped at school or pregnant! Glad it's mostly the latter. When I was in the first trimester with my second and working a lot of hours, I would take a nap on the couch in the early evening in order to get up enough strength to go to bed. You'll get your energy back soon. Can't wait to see the nursery room reveal. And I love the dress! I've had some success fusing a 1 inch strip of tricot interfacing to the hem edge of stretchy knits before I turn and sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's how I feel right now. I have to lay on the couch just to get enough energy to go to bed. Hopefully that will subside soon!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!!!! How exciting :) U look great x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I kind of waited for you to announce this, haha. I felt this is coming soon... Early April - like our baby Anna! Great time to have a baby :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, welcome to the club! Many congrats to you and your husband. I love the dress. It looks so comfy, which is so important when you're expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Liza! I was just looking up the baby robes you made on your blog earlier today because a friend of mine is pregnant and I want to make one as a gift. Now you can make one for your own little one. I'm looking forward to all the cute kids stuff you'll be sewing IF the baby gives you the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress looks really awesome in a knit, woven's tend to make things more stiff no matter how drapy they are. I'm actually tempted by this pattern now!
    Oh, and congratz on the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! Your dress is beautiful and it looks great on you. I bet it will be very comfy and stylish throughout your pregnancy.

    I'm also expecting, and right at 17 weeks also! And I am exhausted. I managed to make my first maternity dress last week, but it took forever. Now to work on posting it!

    It will be fun to watch your bump grow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exciting news, and congratulations to both of you! The dress looks super and will be ideal for the coming months...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, how exciting! This dress looks great on you, and I'm sure you will get plenty of wear out of it..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hooray! Congratulations!

    I really like that dress - I have a similar bought one that I just love, but it's quite thick, lined linen and doesn't drape as nicely. It does make me look like I'm wearing a sack! But I'm ok with that - it's not a tailored dress but it's not meant to be. I think yours looks much nicer than mine though, with the drape and the swoosh. Maybe I should make that pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!! The dress is great. It looks like it will get you through a number of months. I love the boots and tights!!!!
    Take care of yourself-rest often.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh CONGRATULATIONS Liza Jane and J; I am so happy for you! :) Your dress is very chic and stylish maternity wear, and you are glowing! I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! Very clever to use a maternity-suitable non-maternity pattern! I am curious what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! That's great news! THe dress looks great on you. You're right about it being a blank slate — I bet it will get lots of use in the next 23 weeks (and well beyond!).

    ReplyDelete
  24. How exciting! And you look fabulous in your new dress.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on the impending baby. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay, hooray! Congrats, lady!!! The dress looks beautiful on you-- I don't think it's sacklike at all. It's swingy and the princess seams are so skimmy and nice! You'll be wearing this thing to death, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations!! You and your dress (which I also really want to make) are looking super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So happy for you. That lil bun in the oven will be mighty stylish in handmade knit wear, just like his/her mama. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sewing blogger baby boom indeed!!! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay, yay! Very excited for you! You look gorgeous and I can't wait to see your baby growing and all the makes this will inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! What wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations!! Being pregnant is the most wonderful experience!! I loved being pregnant! You look fabulous and love your dress; you are so talented. I look forward to seeing all your maternity clothes you make :) Ottobre has some of the most adorable little baby clothes to make too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make baby clothes! I've always admired the kid's clothing people make from Ottobre. I may have to check it out.

      Delete
  33. Congratulations! Great maternity dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats! I love the dress. I also LOVE those boots! I almost bought a very similar pair.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats! And what a cool dress ... for baby bump, ater, and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations! This baby is going to make a lot of art and crafts is my guess :-) ! The dress is lovely, more elegant than pregnant looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With J and I both being artists, we're sure we'll probably have a child that wants nothing to do with art and wants to grow up to be a politician or something- haha!

      Delete
  37. Oh Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you and J! I love this dress - LOVE it! It is a sack, but like you said, its a sack with a nice shape - if there is such a thing! Now I've never been in the baby-way myself, but I think if I ever was this would be exactly what I would want to wear, every day! And there really is so much room for you to "grow"!
    Keep us updated on the pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I knew it!! I was pretty sure that was why your smock was tied a little loose in the last post! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I asked Karen if she could I tell if I was pregnant in my apron photos. She said no!

      Delete
  39. Beautiful dress and Congratulations on the babe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Aww, Congratulations! Your bump is beautiful! Love the dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ladies, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all the congratulations. It means so much to me that so many people across the globe have shared in J and I's excitement. We really couldn't be happier. I mean it, THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ahhh! Congratulations! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations with your good-looking dress and baby of course!!!
    This post brough some dejavu feelings as I am in exactly the same situation - baby is coming next year April and I am in week 17 :)...and I completely understand your ups and downs in energy levels as well as blogging interruptions.
    Congratulations from all my heart and keep all your posts as cheerful and encouragin as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations and welcome to the club!!! What a fantastic dress and perfect for growing with you too. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love this dress! It is so flattering and does not look like a sack!!!! So glad you are knocked up! Get all the sleep you can. You can read later when the babe is eating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! Such super fabulous news. Pregnancy first time around is such an exciting adventure - so much to learn, so much to experience. The littlest things are so interesting and so exciting. I recommend grabbing yourself a copy of Baby Love by Robin Barker - hands down best baby book EVER! So many of them are judgmental/opinionated and perhaps a little cloying. This one is packed with super useful, hands-on, pragmatic advice. Once again, very very cool news. BTW, the dress looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the book suggestion! I'm looking for new ones :)

      Delete
  47. Congratulations lovely lady! That dress is pretty stunning if you ask me, perfect for a baby bump! x

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congratulations, and making a dress that seems really big now is a fantastic maternity clothes plan. It looks fantastic and I believe that your current hemming technique is perfect for this fabric and style.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Congratulations and I think you have picked a super maternity dress - you will get lots of wear out of that and beyond the baby stage too!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Congratulations - love the dress !

    If you love all things fabric and sewing you should subscribe to your blog !
    Our blog is www.selectivefinefabrics.blogpost.com for tips and techniques for sewing the finest of fabrics ! We are an importer of silks and laces so our blog showcases some of our collections as well !

    ReplyDelete
  51. Congratulations! And if that is a sack, it´s a very chic sack. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  52. You look wonderful- both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Uh, yeah I'm 'bout a week late but CONGRATULATIONS! It seems like maternity sewing is going to be a big thing the next few months 'cause it seems like half the blog authors in my reader are expecting.

    And the dress looks great, too! I like the loose look and that you used a slinky knit.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Somehow I read this last week but was in too much of a rush to comment, but have come back!!! Huge congratulations , what truly ace news!!! The dress is genius and looks like it drapes so beautifully. You stylish mother-to-be, you

    ReplyDelete
  55. another one bites the dust!! or duff, as it were. BIG HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! i think all the new mama sewists should have a contest on baby couture. you know, what with all the free time y'all will have....

    i love your version, it hangs so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Congratulations to you both! that's fantastic news.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Congratulations!! That is such wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Oh congratulations! And that dress is gorgeous, up the duff or not!

    ReplyDelete
  59. that's fantastic news :) congratulations! and i love your new dress, it's an interesting silhouette

    ReplyDelete
  60. Cheers for that great dress and oh so many congrats for your best news!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'm super late with my congratulations, but I didn't want to miss out on saying it anyway. So, congratulations!! I love being a mom, so I'm always excited for people who are expecting. I found out I was pregnant with my first 2 days before going on a 30 day study abroad trip. Talk about unexpected ;D

    Also
    Love the dress! You look fabulous! I think the knit was a great choice.

    ReplyDelete