Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Scout Parade

Quick, quick post, my friends.  Baby is sleeping.  Fingers crossed that she stays asleep while I'm typing this.  I was going to do some fancy editing and try and make my photos look seamless.  But bah!  Those were the things I did pre-baby.  Post-baby is a whole new world.  Every mom for herself. 

 I have been sewing a bit.  I've discovered the trick to sewing with a new baby is to do quick and simple projects.  I actually was working on something rather complicated at the beginning of the summer and when it didn't turn out I for real cried thinking about all the precious sewing time I spent on it.   Making something fast is satisfying and productive for those who only have a few minutes to sew.  Like moi.

Grainline's Scout Woven Tee, oh how I love thee!  Let me count the ways...


Four so far.  I was inspired by Sown Brooklyn's awesome, awesome sew along and Stephanie's fabulous swingy tees.   I'm back at work as of today (sniff sniff) and I desperately needed a few tops for work.  Nothing fancy.  I needed some separates that would allow me to pump quickly while I'm at work and wouldn't make me feel self-conscious about my midsection.  As much as I'd love to wear dresses right now, it's just not a possibility.   For my first version I decided to stick to the original pattern and make it in a woven.  I used a cotton lawn from the stash.  I cut a size larger than I normally would due to my inflated bust but afterward I realized I didn't actually need the larger size.  The neckline gapes ever so slightly and the shoulders sit just beyond my actual shoulders.  I took in the sides almost 3/4" on both sides.  I will wear this version but it's not my favorite.  I'm not sure I'll make this in a stiffer woven again.


Next I made a knit scout.  This one is my favorite.  I used some rayon jersey I had leftover from my wrap dress and hi-low'ed the hem.  I just made that word up.  I think this one is my favorite considering how much I've worn it already.  My neck binding could be tighter.


Then I made another woven version but in a slinky rayon challis.  Check out the back.  My attempt at mixing patterns.  I'm quite pleased with it.  Unfortunately both fabrics I used are super duper cheap and I don't see this tee holding up over time.  C'est la vie.


My last version was this spotty stripe jersey from the stash as well.  I fixed my fit issues.  I went down a size and took some width out of the front piece only.  And I scootched the shoulder seam in so it sits on my actual shoulder.  My neck binding is much better this time around.   It's a winner.


Boom. There it is.  Grainline's Scout Woven Tee pattern is awesome.  I have another cut out already.  And I believe this was the fastest blog post I've every written :)  Do my links work?  Any typos?  No time to check, friends.  Now I'm off to try and sleep while this sweet little baby is still sleeping...

39 comments:

  1. Great sewing there Mama! I'm so impressed that you are organised enough to sew.

    I really like your first woven one. The colours are so fresh. I also love the mixed prints. Looks like you've cracked the code for a quick, yet funky, back to work wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great practical working tops! Hope going back to work goes smoothly... I'm sure you're going to miss being with your adorable baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I'm impressed that you could get any projects done, let alone multiple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love all these for different reasons, but I think my favourite is the striped one with the floral back. Fabulous pattern mixing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya you're back! In many bright and colourful pretty things. Good to see you. You look taller+slimmer in all of these. Which I take to mean baby weight is flying off. Looks like it is anyway. Unless you've had a sudden growth spurt XD The stained-glass one is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Thanks! I've been trying. The baby weight hasn't just magically fallen off like I hoped it would.

      Delete
  6. I love TNT patterns, so satisfying to sew! All your tops look good but I adore the patterned one. Hope going back to work goes well for you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! They look awesome. I made two Scouts this summer. One - fabric was too stiff, and I didn't LOVE the colours. It's been goodwilled. The second I love - fabric makes a big difference.
    I'm back to work (Teacher in Alberta) on and off next week (I'm moving schools this fall) and the crazy worried dreams have already started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a dream about hanging up work on a never-ending bulletin board. Seriously. Hope that's not an omen for this year...

      Delete
  8. these are all really great tees! i've only made one scout, but i wear it all the time. need to make more! hope all goes well as you transition back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute! They seem like the perfect garments for you right now! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scouts are definitely the perfect pattern for a busy new mom!! Well done! I can't believe you got so many done!! They all look fantastic - but there really isn't anything more comfy than a soft rayon jersey!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great and so do you! I remember going back to work after my son was born, and I would cry every morning. I didn't even have to drop him off at daycare cause my husband and I worked opposite shifts. That was nearly 13 years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :(
      I have cried every morning so far. She's all smiles when I drop her off. I think it's much harder on mom than baby.

      Delete
  12. I love the mixed patterns one especially, and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally impressed you cranked out 4 Scouts! They look like excellent back-to-work pieces. I hope your transition back is as smooth as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love them all! Such great colours and prints, too. I just lent my friend my scout pattern in hopes that she'll make her first garment! It's such a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have to make that top in every color under the sun and if you add a matching skirt, you will have a complete outfit. I like your high/low version alot and isn't it great sewing TNT patterns. They make life so easy...you get a new outfit and the urge to create is satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, these all look great! The scout is such wonderful pattern. Good luck with going back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the way the neckline binding makes that last T-shirt pop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tops! It's so hard to sew with a baby isn't it. Everything happens in tiny bits. I squeeze sewing in wherever I can but it still takes me forever to finish things. Ahh the joys of life with a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I sewed all of these in 15 bursts. Luckily they only took a few of those!

      Delete
  19. I love seeing them side by side...really effective. And well done getting through four tops with a baby in time for starting work!! That's an achievement. And that they are so cute and you have honed your pattern on them too? That's a quadruple win. Next one will be even quicker and *just perfect*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love them, Liza Jane! Looks great on you, and the variations are great! Hope your transition back to work is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job as always Lisa Jane! I really love your new tops - the green one is in my favourite colour.
    Good luck with sewing when baby is around.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel ya! I just had my baby three months ago. I've been itching for years to fit myself for a tailored blazer. But the thought of trying to pick a pattern, make a muslin, work out the fitting issues, pick the fabric, cut, sew, line.....all with a little one intrrupting me every 5 minutes....It's daunting. Here's to a light at the end of the tunnel and easy projects in the meantime - love the tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

      Delete
  23. Your tees are amazing! They look fantastic on you. I love the mixed fabric one best, and I also love the hi-low hem. I was a bit ambivalent about that trend at first, but now I'm loving it.

    By the way, your hair is great! Next time I'm feeling the urge for a short hair cut, I'm showing your picture to my stylist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAD to cut my hair. Have you lost any of your hair? Mine was falling out in handfuls. It seems to have slowed now but it's still coming out. If I lose anymore I may have to shave my head! Hopefully it won't come to that.

      Delete
  24. Great tops and fantastic wardrobe staples. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They're lovely! The patterned one is my fav - love the colours. And you're looking great - you must be getting some sleep!! hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh I'm going to steal that hi-lowing-ness (another made up word?)
    Gorgeous Scouts :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how they are all from the same pattern but each have a different personality. I've had this pattern on the back burner for way too long. Gotta sew it up since it's so fast and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like you've had a lot of fun with this pattern - even if you're not up to tackling complicated projects right now, you're still learning how different fabrics work so differently (I don't know if I'll ever be able to predict that one very well!). They all look great (I actually like the stained-glass version the best) and will be a good base for your work wardrobe. Good luck on transitioning back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all of your versions... have had my eye on this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the scout pattern, too. i like how you made each one subtly different and I especially like the stripe with the floral back version. really nice!

    ReplyDelete