Saturday, July 26, 2014

Two White Tops

Nothing is easier to wear than a nice white top, right?


I made two versions of Simplicity 1693 in white linen and a white cotton lace.  Actually, I've made several versions of this pattern now, but these two are the first that will definitely be worn.  My first version was that blue floral number that was hanging on the wall in my photo of all my recent duds.  There is technically nothing wrong with that top, other than a slight snugness across the upper bust.  But I am very meh about the fabric.  I used a rayon I thrifted that obviously came straight from the early 90's.  And I just don't love it.  I was trying to work from my stash.  But it does make a good muslin!  Let's just pretend that was what I intended it for.  I'll keep it around in the closet, but I doubt it will get much wear.


I decided to try another version of Simplicity 1693 since I have been digging the swingy blouse here lately.  I figured it was a really good contender for work appropriate wear which I mentioned that I am in dire need of in my last post.  Thank you all, by the way, for all of your awesome suggestions.  When I read through that post again, I realized how frantic I sound.  And I am, really.  But not about what I'm going to wear to work.  I am anxious about actually having to go back to work after spending my summer with baby Jane.  Ugh, I can't even talk about it.  It makes my stomach hurt to think about it.  I have really enjoyed being home with her.  And don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have this time with her.  And I feel fortunate to have the fulfilling job that I have.  But, you know, it's your baby.  I wish I knew what the right answer was.  So... misplaced anxiety.  
    

However.  Work clothes.  I made two more versions using the swingier view.  I made a few tweaks after my muslin.  I cut a size smaller initially than I normally wear after reading the finished measurements.  My muslin fit great in the shoulders but I did feel a slight pull through the upper bust.  This pattern doesn't require any fitting at all except through the upper bust and shoulders.  So I did a small broad back alteration and also lengthened the pattern by one inch.   I even traced my new pattern on to swedish tracing paper because I was feeling fancy.  And I'm glad I did.  Because I've made several versions (with alterations) now and I have a couple more in the pipeline.


I made the version with the peter pan collar first.  I can't say I'm in love with the collar.  In fact, it was one of those things I swore I'd never make.  It's a little too cute, if you know what I mean.  The main fabric is linen an the collar and trim is quilting cotton.  I had one small scrap of this black and white print from when I did some appliqué for a friend's baby shower.  It felt good to use it.  The underside of the collar is a slippery black synthetic to keep it from being to stiff.  The big, swingy shape is not the most flattering.  But man, do I love wearing tops like this.  They are so easy to throw on in the morning even if they are a little reminiscent of maternity tops.


I finally splurged for a camera remote.  I haven't mastered hiding it or making sure I'm in focus yet.  Who I am kidding, I probably won't ever try to hide it!  It sure does make taking pictures quicker.   

   
And can we just take a moment to appreciate this button at the back opening?  It's a vintage button from my stash and it's just perfect.  A friend gave me a jar of vintage buttons from a family member who obviously cut them off of all her old clothing.  I have a bunch, but these perfectly round ones are my favorite.  I have two more.  The back opening here is non-functional, though, since I can slip the top on over my head.  Just for looks.  The neckline and armholes are finished with bias which I flipped to the inside (is that considered a facing?).

I made this cotton lace version next.  I used my favorite drafting book, Winifred Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear, to help me visualize how to add a cut on cap sleeve.  I love that drafting book.  It seriously is the best.  It has every thing you could ever want to draft.  Even though it's metric, sometimes you just need to see a picture.



I love the cap sleeve.  I traced a new pattern when I made this one so I could use it again.  I also eliminated the center back seam and opening.  It's a very simple shape and one I know I will use again.  Not the most exciting top but it will definitely see lots of wear.  The lace was easy to sew since it is cotton.  I finished the sleeve and neck openings with a strip of the white linen from the first top.

So yay for pull on tops with no fasteners.  These were both quick and easy makes.  Both made during one nap each!  That's my kind of sew.  I've gotten some really good sewing time since my last post.  I've got a few other things to show yet.  And I'm still on my sewing bender for two more weeks so I'm hoping to crank a few more pieces out.   Trying to take advantage of that misplaced anxiety- ha!

And one last picture, just because.  I have been playing around with my camera and trying to control more of the settings.  I feel much more comfortable behind the camera instead of in front of it.  And of course my favorite subject is...

  
She's fifteen months old now and walking everywhere.  Finally.  It took her a while to walk but as soon as she took that first step, she was off.  She won't let me hold her anymore.  She wants to do it all herself.   She is just the best.  Happy weekend!

26 comments:

  1. Eeek! She is so stinking cute. I can see why you don't want to leave her! (True fact - I cry at the end of every single vacation, be it Christmas, March break or summer, because as much as I love my job, it's crushingly busy and stressful, and who wouldn't prefer vacation???)
    Random thought about the navy version: Since you aren't really going to wear it as is, how about playing around with some sharpies to colour in just some of the white-ish flowers? I"m picturing a little corsage-like cluster on the upper bodice, or you could do some fading up from the hem... I've sharpied a few things now, and it stands up reasonably well in the wash, and helped give a bit of flair to a boring garment! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sharpie idea! Might have to try that.

      Delete
  2. i love both of these tops! white shirts are so useful, and these have enough detail to make them interesting. love it! i also like the blue one, maybe chop off the top and color block it somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the swish factor in both tops. I can see why you are planning so many different versions. The eyelet one is super pretty. I wouldn't have guessed that pattern was as cute as it is from the line drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First Baby Jane is just precious! I loved when they learned to walk and became more mobile because you could see even more of their personality. As for the working vs. staying at home argument, I know I had those feelings and even though I know it set a good example for my daughters, my heart still tore on days when I'd rather have been home than at work.

    The tops are gorgeous and I know why you like the swing factor! They must be ultra comfortable to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two lovely white tops! The swingy shape looks great, I could do with a couple of those.

    Baby Jane is so gorgeous, I can totally understand you not wanting to leave her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the top with the collar! The black and white geometrical pattern makes sure that it's not "too cute" at all :) And yay for quick projects that get a lot of wear. Your daughter is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first thought on reading this was your hair looks fantastic and you are adorable! I can see where Baby Jane gets her darling looks. I understand the working/staying home anxiety as well. Good use of it with making these tops - they are cute, comfortable and breezy! g

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute kid!
    I love both versions of the top. The white lace one is so angelic + cool at the same time. If that's even possible.
    The highlow hemline is a nice feature as well. Your hair is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you already know my stance on this shape of top :) And in crisp white fabrics, swoon. I'm not a fan of Peter Pan collars, but I think the size and graphic print of yours looks really cool. I may need to check out that pattern drafting book - thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is so stinking cute. I can't imagine my little one not letting me hold her though. I guess we'll get there one of these days! And, these tops seem pretty perfect for you. I love how you're tweaking the pattern each time to make each top unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both really, really cute! I love a good swingy top and this is really an awesome shape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both these tops, including that great collar on the first one! Baby Jane is at a fun age. I really miss when my kids were little, you are right to treasure up the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, a fellow lover of Winifred Aldrich! They are super handy books, worth the metric/imperial muddle. Your tops look great, and the peter pan collar is not too over the top cutesy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They both look really great! I love their cool breezy shape. And white tops, of course what's not to love?! I know what you mean about peter pan collars, but I think with the strong black and white graphic you chose it looks pretty cool actually, and not twee at all. *big hug* to you re going back to work, too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely tops, my go to top is the sorbetto. I think I have about three variations

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great tops. I don't think the collar looks too overly cute, the black/white contrast and geometric print seem to offset the cuteness factor a bit.

    I wish I could tell you there's a quick or easy way to deal with the "mommy guilt" of being a working mother, but in my experience, there just isn't. The best ways I've found so far too cope with it involve lots of hugs, making sure to spend some time together each day for a meal (this gets trickier as they get older) and reminders to myself that no one has perfect circumstances, and I can only do the best I can with what I have.

    Baby Jane looks like such a sweetie. It's no wonder you're stressed about having to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are both lovely, but the white lace one is sublime. Well done on drafting the sleeves, they are so cute. Your daughter is rather cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also am not super down with the Peter Pan collar, but I LOVE this sleeveless swingy top! I don't think it looks maternity. It's so super cute on you. I love that printed fabric on the white. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There was a lot in this post that made me smile. I too have mentally sworn not to make a Peter Pan collar, because I am worried I will look like a school girl but I know I will break down in the end because as a sewer I am sure I will eventually try every style. I showed your pictures to my teenage daughter - just so you know the PP collar is cooler!! Apparently she would wear this. If my daughter says this it is a big compliment! & of course, your dd is so gorgeous, too....on another note, even if you stayed at home every minute you might still feel anxious about whether you are doing the right thing, I am sure if goes with being a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely tops! I think the PP collar looks great the way you have it made up. Not too youngish looking in the fabrics. I too am giving this shirt style a try. I'm just using the same fabric for the collar as the blouse and I like how it is turning out, but I am a little off on the size I made. :( So to boost my confidence in sewing, I'm making some things for my children. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the swing style is looking good on you. I've been daydreaming all summer of light flowing tops like that, but I always feel so frumpy. After seeing yours, I think I'm over-fitting and just need to go with the volume! They'd look great with skinny jeans and sandles, or some knit pencil skirts...

    ReplyDelete
  22. A girl does not have enough white tops in her wardrobe never ... Love those ones! They look so soft and romantic ... perfect for summer. And your princess is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I have just dicovered your blog ( through pinterest!) and love all the items you sew, I too love the simplicity 1693 pattern and have already made 2 of the sleevesless floaty tops. I love how you have added on the cap sleeves, can you give me any tips on how I can add them myself as I would love to as well. Thanks in advance. Ps I actually love the blue top that is in the dud collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kara! I couldn't find an email address for you so I hope you see this! I actually took a picture of the diagram I used to add the cap sleeves. If you email me with an email address I'll send it to you. Basically you raise the shoulder point slightly (1 cm-- book I used is metric) and then extend the sleeve out however far you want. I can't remember how much I extended it but you don't need to extend it too much. Then just draw a line to connect outer point with lower edge of the armscye. I'm terrible at explaining things! Hope that helps!

      Delete