Tuesday, June 23, 2015

One For Me and Three for Jane



If Jane and I ever start a band, we can use one of these photos as our album cover.  


I've not been very good about sewing things for Jane lately.  But really, that's ok.  Toddlers are crazy hard on their clothes.  I don't ever put her in to anything remotely nice when she goes to daycare.  You should see the way she comes home.  Apparently she plays hard.  I always have good intentions about sewing little toddler things.  It really is fun and quick to sew toddler sized clothing.  Every time I make something for myself, I look at whatever fabric is left and think that I should make something for Jane.  Rarely do I follow through.  But this time I did.

I made up my top first.  It's an easy going, swing-y tank.  This version is my wearable muslin.  I have a pretty rayon that I want to make this top in, but I didn't want to cut in to it without testing out the pattern first. Here are the pattern deets.  



Pattern Description: Simplicity 1107. Swing-y high low top,with or without sleeves, that can be made in a variety fabrics.  Pattern claims knits or wovens.  I used a woven.

Pattern Sizing:  I made a S, which is crazy.  I can't remember the last time I wore anything in a size small.  When I looked at the finished measurements there was some obscene amount of ease at the bust.  I do realize that this is supposed to be a top without a lot of ease.  But I sized down anyway as an experiment.  I always have issues with the neckline gaping on things I make.  I was curious if sizing down would take care of some of the gaping issues.  I figured I could get away with it here because there is so much ease included.  See my verdict on sizing down below.  

Fabric Used:  I used a strawberry colored linen blend I found at Joann's as a 'wearable muslin' before I cut in to my nicer fabric.  The fabric has a woven check throughout, but I don't think you can see it in these photos.  It has a nice texture.  I absolutely love this color.  It's the perfect coral/poppy red.


Likes/Dislikes:  I love the v-neck.  I also love a swing-y top, as I am sure you can tell.  I did have some issues with sizing, specifically at the armholes.  But I believe that is because I made a size too small.

Alterations/Deviations:  Making a smaller size worked, but I do think I need the bigger size at the armhole.  I like the height of the armscye but there is some pulling from the sides just under the arm.  If I make this again, I'll keep the height but extend the armscye to a medium at the side seams. I still had some neckline gape even after sizing down to a small.  This is always an issue for me.  I solved it after the fact by taking a 3/4" dart out of the front center seam before I sewed the bias facing.  I suspect I need a hollow chest adjustment- but at the same time a broad back adjustment?!?  Is that even possible?!  I can always count on having fit issues through the upper chest/neckline/shoulder area, so maybe so.  One day I'll figure it all out ;)


Conclusion:  I might make this again in a fabric with more drape like my original plan.  I do like this version a lot, although it's not exactly what I envisioned.  It's perfect for the insane heat wave we are having right now.

Jane's top is also a new Simplicity pattern.  I loved the linen I used for my top so much I wanted to use up the scraps right away.  This is a very cute toddler pattern.  The square neckline, the gathered hem and the bubble shorts are just too adorable.  The pattern claims it is an easy sew but I disagree.  There was just enough fussiness in this pattern to make it a more difficult sew.  Not super hard, but it required some concentration.  I made Jane's red linen top first.  When it turned out well, I went ahead and made the bubble shorts followed by another top in white Swiss dot.  So Jane ended up with three garments from this pattern.


Pattern Description: Simplicity 1118. Toddler's tank top with ruffled hem, cropped pants or shorts with bubble hem (gathered in to a band).  All cute options.



Pattern Sizing.  I took Jane's measurements for this.  And her measurements crack me up.  She is 20" at bust, waist and hip.  Ha!  So I cut a size two for all pieces.

Fabric Used: Linen blend for first top.  Swiss dot lined with white linen for second top.  And a woven striped linen for the bubble shorts.


Likes/Dislikes:  I love the square neckline.  I also love how the top opens/closes with a simple button and loop at the back.  That's such an easy closure for a toddler pattern.  And practical.  The pattern calls for a facing, which I did for the first red linen version.  For the white version, I opted to line the entire bodice instead.  It worked just fine.  If you thought ahead, you could line and finish the armholes in one fell swoop using the burrito method.  I didn't think that far through and finished the armholes with bias anyway.  It worked ok.  I do have some pulling at the armhole because there are so many layers of fabric there. The bubble shorts are adorable.  I changed the direction of the stripe on the waistband, pockets and hem bands.  They have the cutest shape.  I did struggle with gathering the hem of the shorts in to the band evenly.  It's such a small circumference that you really have to focus on what you are doing.  I ended up with most of my gathering at the back for some reason. It's ok.  It's passable.  They are absolutely adorable on Jane.


Alterations/Deviations:  I made the first red top up exactly as the pattern intended.  The neckline is a little too big.  On the white Swiss dot version, I raised the neckline by a half inch, front and back.  I also added an inch in length to both ruffles so she can wear it for a little while longer.  Seems she's growing up versus growing out these days.  The shorts were made with no alterations.  I know I've said it before, but they are really cute!  

 This.  This would be our album cover.

Conclusion:  Great little pattern.  I'd love the make the shorts again as Jane needs a few more pairs of shorts.  We'll see how the summer goes.    

28 comments:

  1. You and Jane should totally start a band so you can have that last photo as your album cover! So cute. I don't have any little people in my life to make clothes for, but I really wish I did because all three items you've made for Jane are adorable.

    I always struggle with fit around the armholes of sleeveless tops too, I think with me it's because my shoulders are quite narrow, but my boobs are quite big! Next time I'm going to try what you suggest and extend the under arm to the next larger size and see if that helps. Love your necklace too by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pair of you look great. Nice tops, both of them. The red is a fab colour. Bubble shorts are adorable. Isn't your daughter getting big. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are so cute! That's a great pattern for Jane, for sure. And I was just checking out your swingy top pattern, but sadly no Simplicity patterns in Canada these days. As for your shoulder/neckline fitting, I've been experimenting with narrow shoulder adjustments (the same as hollow chest, but it sounds nicer!), and pondering combining it with a forward shoulder. Maybe that will help? Love that you both have silver shoes on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic colour - it looks great on both of you! those shorts are so sweet - my girls all too big for a cute pair like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pieces you sewed for Baby Jane are beyond cute. I think you should make this pattern again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first picture of the two of you is fabulous! I would print that out and frame it! Love your new makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two are so adorable. Love the pic you chose for your 'album cover'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute! I hope you are enjoying your break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it all! The photos, the colour, the tops! That simplicity pattern looks like a winner.

    In one of my recent craftsy classes, the instructor was talking about how to correct gaping at the front neckline. On a muslin (you might need to whip up a quick one), she cut the shoulder seam. Then she smoothed both the front and back shoulder areas up and had a look at whether or not the shoulder seams met naturally. If not, she re-drew the back neckline / armhole to meet the front (or vice versa)...this changes the neckline without changing the back width. Hopefully that all makes sense??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the album cover shot! I want a pair of bubble shorts, but they probably wouldn't look as cute on a 48-year old...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so cute! Love that red on both of you! And, you are right about kids being hard on their clothes. I've been focusing more on simple, quick designs these days so that sewing everyday clothes for the kids will feel worth it. A fancy, special occasion dress will always feel worth it to me though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great in this shirt! Fantastic color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this is just too cute for words! I do the exact thing every time I make something... try to leave a tiny bit of yardage for a top or a skirt for one of my kids. And then rarely actually do it. I made up a very similar Mccalls tank recently and despite sizing way down, I still had to remove a full inch from CB and CF. And it's still kinda roomy! But I love the swing, so I plan to re-visit it. I have a similar issue with gape-y necklines and I just can't figure out what to do about it! Some day I'll crack the code. And the outfits for your daughter are just so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So. Stinking. CUTE!!! The two of you in your matching reds are just killing me! I love your swingy top, and linen is just, sigh, so good for summer! But I have to say, Jane is really knocking it out of the park here! Those bubble shorts!!! Just too cute for words!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You two are just too, too cute. Love these outfits. Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That colour really suits you, and I couldn't agree more that the toddler's clothes are So Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you two are too cute for the words!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness your daughter is so cute!! Those little bubble shorts are adorable. And I love all the photos of you two together! That top you made for yourself looks awesome - I love that colour on you! I am always wanting to make swingy tops after reading your blog. They look so amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd buy that album! Great job on all the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You both are so cute! Great job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too cute for words.
    I love your top too, it looks like just the right amount of swing

    ReplyDelete
  22. You two are adorable in your red tops! So cute. More Jane sewing, even if she's hard on her clothes, Mum-made is surely up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh shazzam! Love that album cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. omg you guys are too cute! I suck at sewing for Imogen. But I figure the same that she ruins most of her clothes so I save my sewing for special occasion stuff. Love the matching tops! I will have to check out that simplicity pattern for Imogen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. STOP!! You guys are officially too cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy smokes, COMPLETELY adorable. I'm now officially wishing my daughter was a toddler again so I could make her that exact same outfit. Your outfit is also adorable, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah! So cayoot! I recently make some shorts in 'mini human' size and they were tiny! They barely used up an fabric at all. So quick and fun!

    ReplyDelete