Sunday, November 22, 2015

Boring Sewing


I am a little embarrassed that I am even writing this blog post.  Actually, not that I'm writing this blog post, but that I actually took pictures of all of these this afternoon.  Prepared to be amazed!  I made a bunch of slouchy tees again. This time I used Simplicity 1071 and I believe it deserves mention because it is a great and easy pattern.  Which is really why I'm writing this post.



Pattern Description: The pattern is an easy to sew sportswear pattern.  I made the top, obviously.   I'm kind of intrigued by the vest/cardigan.  The top really is just a bunch of rectangles with maybe a little shaping at the sleeve.  I haven't sewn Grainline's Hemlock tee, but it looks just the same to me.  I know that the Hemlock tee is free, but I have come to the realization that I absolutely loathe taping together pdf patterns.  Nothing will stop me from sewing faster than having to tape a pdf together.  I think that's also another reason I use a lot of Big 4 patterns.  And they are cheap and readily available where I am.


Pattern Sizing: XXS- XXL.  Big size range.  I made a small.  My bust measurement is actually in between a small and medium.  Not that sizing is a big issue with this pattern.


Fabric Used:  Lots of different knits!  My first black and white (super long) version was done in a super cheap rayon knit.  Next, I used a grey quilted sweatshirt knit that I found at Joann's, believe it or not.  It actually has batting quilted in between layers so it's warm.  The grey and black striped version is a cotton/spandex knit that wrinkles like crazy.  The pea green version is a silky bamboo knit.  And the navy stripe is a heavy ponte knit.


Alterations/Deviations:  I changed the length on almost every version, adding length.  The only version that is close to the original hem length of the pattern is the grey and black striped tee.  I only added two inches to that one.  I wanted all of these to be super long and slouchy.  However, after looking at photos I realize that these are not the most flattering tees I own.  That's ok.  They are not supposed to be.  I may shorten the black and white printed version, though.  Or at least get rid of the longer back.  I also added side seam splits to several versions just because it seemed appropriate.  The navy striped version has extra deep side splits and I like them a lot.


Likes/Dislikes: I like the neckline on this tee.  It's as close to perfect as it gets.  Not to wide and not to high.  It's the perfect depth.  I did not use the neckband pattern piece, though.  Actually, I truly have made six versions of this pattern.  The first version I made was done in a textured knit and I used the neckband pattern piece.  It was too short for the textured knit I used (not a lot of stretch) so I ditched it in all subsequent versions.  For all my other versions, I sewed the neckband on, stretching as I sewed except for the last two inches or so.  Then I measured and sewed the ends of the neckband together before sewing it on to the neckline the rest of the way.  That way I didn't need to guess at length depending on what type of knit I was using.  It was a little fiddly, but I prefer that to sewing on a neckband that isn't the right length.  I still might try and fix my original wadder but I am not inclined to unpick stitching in that textured knit.   I can't remember if sleeve bands are part of the pattern or not, but I used them on all versions.  I guesstimated length on the sleeve bands, too.  I leaned toward a little tighter to keep my sleeves up


Here's a photo of all the different neckbands.  I used self fabric for most, but used a grey rib knit for the quilted version and a navy jersey for the ponte version.  It was good practice to do all these neckbands in different knits.  The rayon jersey and bamboo seemed to work the best and lay the flattest.  The navy jersey with the ponte knit is all sorts of wavy.  The grey and black version is not the best either since I cut on the cross grain.


Conclusion:  Wow, I wrote a lot more than I thought I would about this simple pattern.  Great, easy pattern, if slouchy tees are your thing :)  I think I'm done making knit tees at this point.  These definitely filled a gap in my cold weather wardrobe, so I'm pleased with them.  And they have all been worn in non-stop rotation since I've made them.  But it's time to make something a little more difficult, I think!  Winter coat, maybe....


17 comments:

  1. Wow, these are all great! Such a variety of fabrics and definitely looks like one of those shirts that I would gravitate towards in my every day wear. Thanks for blogging about this as I will be looking for this pattern now. I have to agree with you about taping the PDFs together. I have done a few but not for a long time now. It adds so much time to making something and not such a deal when you figure in the ink you use in your printer. Our printer goes through ink cartridges so fast that I don't want to mess with a PDF anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley! And we never have ink in our printer. Another reason I'm not a fan of pdf's.

      Delete
  2. These are all lovely and look very practical. I love the stripes. It is great to have something easy to sew and to wear. I won't sew from pdfs either. I tried it once for a pair of Burda style leggings. Never again. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tops! and I admit to a drawerful of similar knit tops for pj's. Boring yes, but so nice to have. I love the lime green one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these! (Yes, slouchy tees are very definitely my thing too!) I have tried the hemlock but it's one size only, and wasn't slouchy enough for me. I've been considering just drawing a bigger version and you've totally just increased my motivation! I wish big 4 patterns were cheaper here in Europe as they do have some really good ones, and I'd happily not stick together pdfs either. Sadly it's the only reasonably-priced option a lot of the time :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all look great! Very comfy and definite wardrobe staples. That quilted one looks so warm and snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun sewing! These tops really suit you. Are you really thinking about making a coat? I am forcing the issue for myself by refusing to buy a new coat even though I really need one (especially as we just had our first snow of the year in Chicago). Do you have a pattern in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I want to make a coat! But we don't really have cold winters here, so it's not really a coat per se. I've already bought cheap fabric and a vogue pattern, 9071. But I haven't seen any reviews of it which makes me wary. We'll see if I follow through...

      Delete
  7. I love these! They look great, and the split hemlines are fabulous. I'm definitely adding this pattern to my to-buy list the next time I spot a sale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobody does multiples as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not boring if you love it and wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them all! Particularly the quilted one.... I need a quilted shirt in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's absolutely nothing boring about a few well-made slouchy tees in my book! they all look great. I particularly love the fabulous colour of the chartreuse one. Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great! I would wear them constantly! And you're right-- the neckline depth is really perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you shared because I never would have picked this pattern based on the cover art, but I love your versions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just spent two fun hours going through all your blog posts. So much fun! Your hair is beautiful and cut in a lovely style. Your sewing projects are approachable so I can imagine myself making them. Because I looked through most of your blog in one go, your individual style really stands out. I've just been getting back into sewing and your blog has inspired me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Denise!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comment!

      Delete