Monday, January 18, 2016

Blast From The Past

I am pretty sure I had a corduroy jumper just like this in 1994.  Remember when overalls were popular?  I loved mine.  I had a denim pair I wore all the time and I also remember having a dress like this.  Anyway, I'm digging this jumper.  It was worn immediately after taking it off the sewing machine, which is always a good sign.

There was some really cold wind blowing when I took these photos!

I cancelled my Burda magazine subscription a couple of years ago to save some funds.  And honestly, I miss it. I think I'm going to have to resubscribe.  I know some give Burda a hard time because they have some pretty wacky designs.  But I like that.  The magazine is fun to get every month and flip through.  And even if you don't make anything right then and there, you always have those patterns to browse through in the future.  I do not, however, enjoy printing and taping together pdf's.  So it really takes something special for me to purchase a pattern on the Burdastyle website, print it, tape it together, add seam allowances, etc. So much work!  That's how badly I wanted to make an overall dress.

Pattern Description: Jumper dress with side button closure and two skirt variations.  Straps can be fastened with buttons or a variation where the straps are pulled through a grommet and tied in a knot.  I'm kind of interested in trying that.


Pattern Sizing:  Burda size 34-44.  I made a 42.  I typically make a 40. My bust measurement falls in between a 38 and 40, my waist in between a 40 and 42.  But my hips really are a 42.  So I made a straight size 42 out of laziness.  I figured I'd need the ease around my hips and I did.

Fabric Used:  I used an uncut corduroy.  It has some stretch to it and attracts every piece of lint in a ten yard radius.  I am going to buy a lint roller just for when I wear this dress.  The corduroy was easy to sew.  I did use my walking foot and a press cloth when I ironed seams.  It is a little stiff to wear, though.  It's ok for a winter jumper but I wouldn't want anything so stiff for warmer weather version.  I used some great metal buttons with anchors stamped on them for all the button closures.


Alterations/ Deviations:  I lined the yoke and skirt with a slippery poly lining.  I treated the yoke lining as an underlining and the skirt as a separate lining.  I knew I wanted to wear this with tights.  I also three inches of length- one inch to the yoke and two to the straight skirt.  So the original pattern length is short.


Likes/Dislikes:   There are some fit issues but I really like the end result.  It feels very art teacher-y for some reason.  Kind of apron-like, I guess.  The side view is not the most flattering, but eh.  I did need the size 42 around my hips but I think if I make it again I will cut down a size from the yoke up.  The front bib (?) part is too wide.  I will definitely narrow that down next time.  I think it would make the straps sit better at the back as well.  Also, you can see in the inside out shot below that the straps were a lot longer than I needed.   I overexposed the photo below so you can see the seam lines better. And yes, I pressed those wrinkles in my lining so they are there forever.


Conclusion:  I like it a lot.  I really want to make this again in a lighter weight denim for summer.  And I want to try the knotted straps through the grommets.  And probably the gathered skirt.  I could see myself wearing it over tee shirts and tank tops.  In fact, I've already ordered some denim!




23 comments:

  1. Cute! It's not a pattern that I would have ever considered on my own, but it looks great on you! Can't wait to see the denim version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute jumper. I used to wear styles like this, and overalls as well, but I don't think I can pull of this look anymore...I'll just have to enjoy the fashion vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I question the cutesy factor on me, too. But I think I like it :)

      Delete
  3. Very cute. I remember the fashion for dresses like this first time round too. It is kind of a timeless style and looks very trendy and nice on. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice result and it suits you beautifully. Can you tell what's the Burda pattern number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't mean to leave that out. I'll have to add it back in the post, too. It's actually a BurdaEasy pattern, jumper and skirt FS/2014 #5. That's how it's labeled on the burda style site.

      Delete
  5. This is so cute on you! I remember one of my most favorite outfits was a hot pink corduroy jumpsuit that I wore in 1984 in high school! lol I have made a few since learning to sew. Corduroy is always nice to wear. I stopped my Burda magazine subscription too. :( I miss it. I have made very little from them, but the things I have, I love. They are so different from other patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the same! I never made a ton of things from the magazine but when I did, they were good ones. I think I'm going to renew.

      Delete
  6. I don't know that I ever had an overalls dress, but i had denim overalls with some flowers embroidered on the bib (1995) and i was obsessed. I like this! I think it is a nice straight skirt style that still looks comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great on you, you were right to go to all that effort of printing and taping the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, it's got a really nice shape and I love the side buttons

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great on you! I don't think it's too "cutesy" ... more like the grown-up woman's modern version of an overalls jumper/pinafore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! I totally remember that overall and jumper phase, but your version looks pretty sophisticated with the tops you chose. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack!! I want one! I've been dreaming about one of these for awhile... it looks great and very easy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love a good 'pinny'. Plus I think It will go over a lot of different things in such a neutral colour x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it. LOVE. IT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This jumper/pinafore is super especially in corduroy! I love this style of dress, having made 2 Japanese versions(one in a floral corduroy). I used to wear this style of dress as a child so it is a little bit of nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, floral corduroy sounds awesome! Hmmmm....

      Delete
  15. I love this!! I had a pair of denim overalls in the mid-90s too and I wore them all the time!! I think this overall dress looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is super cute!!!!! I'm glad you updated your blog but I really have to tell you I've enjoyed looking at your daughter's picture for a while (the 2nd one especially) she's a HOOT!!!! Happy sewing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! This is totally a cute art teacher look and suits you to a T! I remember having some overall jumpers like this back in the 90's too. And then there was the old denim pair of overalls I wore with the one strap hanging down the back.... dark days... *shudders* ! This sweet corduroy version is definitely an upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I absolutely love this on you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really cute on you! I definitely had a corduroy jumper, a purple one. I wore it with a purple striped turtleneck, both of which I ordered from Land's End with babysitting money (goes without saying that I wasn't a cool kid!!). The thought of that outfit kinda makes me shiver today, but you look great in this style!

    ReplyDelete