Sunday, September 10, 2017

Shirt Dress For A Bump

Here are a few more things I made for the growing belly this summer.  All of these were for back to work.  I've worn the shirt dresses a bunch of times already, but haven't worn the separate pieces at all.  The best part about all of these pieces is that they don't look like maternity clothes (I think?) and I definitely plan to wear them after baby is here.  The shirt dresses in particular will come in handy when I have to go back to work after giving birth.  Don't ask me why I seem so prepared for all of this baby business!  I'm really not.  At least I'm not prepared in any other aspect of life. But I guess my wardrobe is prepared.  Ha! I did get all summer to think about what to sew and then had the time to do it, so that helped.


Pattern Description: The pattern is one I've made before, McCalls 7314.  In fact, when I blogged about this particular dress before, I actually noted that it would be a great maternity pattern.  And it is!  It's a typical shirtwaist dress but with a raised, curved waist seam.  It's perfect for a growing bump. And I will absolutely be wearing my very first version when the weather gets a little cooler (it's below).  I left the elastic out of the back waist in that version but I like how it looks with tights and boots. The sleeves are from a different pattern.




Pattern Sizing: 6-22.  I made a 14.  

Fabric Used: I made the navy, shibori print dress first.  It's a rayon poplin that I bought from fabric.com a while back.  I've seen many other folks with the same fabric and for good reason.  It's really nice stuff.  I think rayon poplin might be my favorite dress fabric.  It's got great drape but is way sturdier than rayon challis and totally opaque.  I made the black and white gingham version next.  It is a rayon challis I've had for a while, too.  The top version is a plain white rayon challis that I bought yards of when Hancock closed down.  And the pants are made from the leftover rayon poplin from my very first version of the dress above.  I'm trying to sew through some of my stash as my fabric closet is going to be new baby's closet.  I've got to downsize!  I'll make some quick notes about the pants at the bottom of this post. 



Alterations/ Deviations: The navy shibori print dress has almost no alterations except my standard square shoulder adjustment. I played around with the shoulder fit more on the gingham version (and the armscye), but honestly, I think the shoulders look better on the navy version.  I also played around with button placement on the gingham version but I like it better per the pattern.  The gingham dress is longer, too.  About three inches, I think.  I spent forever matching up the checks on the gingham when I cut out pattern pieces.  The bodice looks decent but there is a little slant to the skirt. Oh well.  It was not fun to cut out.  I made the blouse last.  It's okay.   I put the elastic in the back waist of both dresses but did not like it in the top version.  So I left it loose and billowy.  The top version seems to fit so much larger for some reason.   Maybe fabric choice- cheap fabric, looser weave.


Likes/ Dislikes:  I love both dress versions. The curved waist seam is just perfect for a belly.  I plan to wear both dresses after baby, too.  I'm hoping the buttons will make it nursing friendly.  Like I said before, the blouse and pants haven't been worn at all.  I think I like both pieces separately, but not together.  It's too much fabric to wear at once.  I'll wear the blouse with a skinnier bottom but I'll probably just save the pants for later.  You can't tell in these photos, but the blouse has fun buttons.  They are clear with glitter.



And just some quick notes about the pants:  They are Butterick 5893.  I made view A, the straight leg version with side seam pockets.  I cropped mine.  I also shortened the rise a little bit.  They have an elastic waist.  They feel nice to wear in rayon poplin again, but I'm not sure what sort of top to wear them with.  I'll have to figure it out.


Conclusion:  Great shirt waist dress pattern. Perfect for summer and also happens to be perfect for early maternity wear!   I took these photos the same time I took the photos for my last post.  So this is just a 15 week little baby bump.  It's getting bigger now.  I think it's time to look at actual maternity patterns and for colder weather, too.



13 comments:

  1. i'm loving all your pregnancy outfits, in this and previous post! would totally steal all those dresses from you! and top and pants too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shirt dresses! I agree that they will suit you well now, and after you have the baby. I am super impressed by your productivity. I had big hopes to sew while I was pregnant, but sadly, the energy was harder to find. I like all the things you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My energy is definitely waning now that I'm back at work. I'm hoping to sew some knit things for late pregnancy, but we'll see!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks great, and the sandals match it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're Tevas, if you can believe it. I wear them all the time.

      Delete
  4. I like everything you made and think that you will like the top and pants together when the bump gets a lot bigger. It won't seem like so much fabric then. I ended up planning my sewing out for my last baby better than the first two because I knew what I wanted to wear and in what fabrics. I think that's why the wardrobe part was so much easier this time. You knew what you wanted to wear and why!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these. I think the pants with a tee would be great. But I really like the blouse version. Way to work a pattern - these are all fabulous. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving all these gorgeous clothes! When us mere mortal women get pregnant, we collapse in a heap of "too exhausted to do a damn thing" but you - you!!! - sew a fabulous new wardrobe! I am just so impressed!

    I actually like the top and pants together and agree that it might feel nice when you're further along and just need looseness and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha! Trust me, I was collapsed in a heap most of the time! This was all stuff I sewed over the last three months. I have summers off, so plenty of time to sew (which I am so grateful for!).

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the bump! I love the dresses, they look great on you and look very practical for transitioning through pregnancy and into nursing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these are beautiful! I have extreme gingham dress envy. Congratulations, also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely garments. I am in awe of your sewing skills. The Shibori fabric is gorgeous. Xx

    ReplyDelete