Friday, August 27, 2010

The "Um, you're missing a sleeve" Top


That was my husband's comment about this top. I'm not sure what possessed me to make this top, Simplicity 2364. Curiosity, I guess? I always wondered if I would like the one shoulder style or if I'd be able to wear it. The jury is still out. But here are my observations about this pattern. I made view F.



Making up a pattern that is asymmetrical is hard! Most patterns pieces are symmetrical and if you are using a fabric that is the same front and back, it doesn't matter too much if you get one mixed up or reversed. In this case, you have to remember which piece is which, back and front, and not get them flipped over. I mixed them up once and had to unpick everything. I guess that is where marking your pattern pieces well comes in.


Everything else about the pattern was pretty straightforward. I like that the elastic casing was made within the seam allowances. I also like the gathering along the shoulder seam. I didn't like that the facings stopped halfway down and there were no instructions on how to finish or if you were supposed to tack it anywhere inside. You can see how it bunches up in my back view photo. My advice is to just double up on the front and back pieces and sew as a full lining instead of a facing. I'm not sure if I will actually wear it, but it was another good experience with something new.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should wear it!
    It looks great with jeans actually! It also looks very comfy.I love the way the back piece drapes. Draping is always so flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's really cute! Casual and fun but not sloppy. Actually, I like the whole pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really cute top. Make me one, please?

    There's an award for you over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me that I have this pattern waiting to be used. I think I'll try view A. I am like you in that I'm not sure I could pull off the one-shoulder look. I am curious if you still wear this top.

    ReplyDelete