Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hey Baby(ies)



Before I start, let me explain that I have lots of free time these days as I'm on summer vacation.  Hence the paper balloons and posed bathrobe photo shoot in the front yard.  

My neighbors must think I'm crazy.


Anyway, here they are!  I hinted a few weeks ago that I was working on drafting a baby item using Winifred Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting for Children's Wear and Babywear.  I made it through all the metric conversions and sewed up several self-drafted baby kimono robes this week.  Little baby housecoats, if you will.


Now I know these do look similar to the Simplicity baby robe pattern I sewed for a friend at the beginning of the year, but this pattern is different-- very much simplified. When I initially found that first pattern, I had gone to the store actually looking for a little robe pattern.  I did like the pattern.  I thought it had some neat features.  But it wasn't perfect.  For one, I wanted something quick and easy. And lately I've had this twinge where I want to make my own stuff.  I've really wanted to try my hand at drafting something completely from scratch. (I actually drafted this pattern before my a-line skirt pattern, though I sewed up my skirts first)   I thought this baby robe would be a good starting point because I would have something to compare it to when sewn and also have a self-drafted pattern to make for the numerous babies that are popping up around my group of friends.  

Yes- babies, babies everywhere :)


These three little robes already have homes.  And I have several more I need to make.  I figure it's a practical but also super cute baby gift.  Good for boys and girls.

I followed the instructions and drafted the flat woven overgarment block in Aldrich's book.  I was generous with the sizing (after I converted it all to inches and pounds- yuck).  I wanted it to fit for months, not just a short period of time.  I'm estimating that this will fit a baby from 12 to 18 lbs-- maybe, we'll see.  I'm borrowing a baby next week to test it out ;)   Then, I modified the flat block to have a kimono sleeve.  I wanted the robe to have as few pieces as possible.   No sleeve to sew in, which seems silly on something so small and shapeless anyway.   Aldrich's book is really great.  Seriously, there is so much information packed in there it's unbelievable.  I learned so much just by reading through the introduction and then trying it out. 


Pattern pieces above.  Start to finish, it takes me two hours to complete a robe.  The hood is my favorite part.  It's actually one piece- the top is cut on the fold.  The back curved seam is sewn first and then the top is sewn like a box corner.  Makes for a really cute shape to the hood.  I could see some little bear ears put in that seam.  I may have to try that on one. 



Besides the simplified kimono shape and one piece hood, I mega-sized the pocket and added belt loops.  The pockets will actually hold something, like a pacifier, and the belt loops keep the belt in place.


I did use the technique of inserting ric-rac (or in this case above, lace trim) in to the front seam from the Simplicity pattern.  I think it adds so much to the final product.  And I love ric-rac.  Why is ric-rac mostly used on baby clothes anyway?   It was fun to pick out fabrics and trim.  I used quilting cotton for the shell and minky for the lining, which is the softest stuff evah!  Hopefully the minky will get baby approval.



I'm tickled with the finished product.  I found the technical aspect of drafting fascinating- which is surprising since I'm no huge fan of math.  I'm looking forward to trying out other things.  It will be fun to give these little robes as gifts- personalizing them for different friends.  
And I have the satisfaction of knowing I made it from scratch.
 


Happy sewing!

27 comments:

  1. Pattern drafting is one of those areas where math meets art. I find it surprisingly satisfying, too.

    Those robes are adorable! Confession: although any number of colleagues/friends are having babies at the moment, I haven't sewn a single baby gift. I keep meaning to, and then not being able to motivate myself. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Tiny clothes are so much fun because they don't take as long to make... especially if you don't have to take care of the baby at the same time haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole post is adorable. Love the robes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project! Your baby friends will love you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, I mean the robes are super cute but I also really like your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tooo cute! And your photo shoot is just totally adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry about your neighbour, those are seriously cool photos. And the robes are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little robes are so cute!!! I love all the lovely fabrics and trims you have chosen - they look wonderful! Great photos - looks like you're having a fun vacation time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cho cute!! and you presentation with fake baloons...oh..*sigh* sweet and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - these robes are so cute! And the photo's were inspired! I just LOVE the last one with them watching the baloons float away - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, thanks everyone! I did have fun taking the photos. I was thinking about those kindle commercials where everything happens flat (and stop action) and then I pictured the robes holding balloons for some reason. But like I said- lots of free time right now. And yes, Eugenia, I'm having an awesome vacation time!

    Tanitisis- It's funny how math and art seem to go together a lot of times.

    Toferet- So true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable! these turned out great. good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so gorgeous! and i love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are perfection, and have managed to make me insanely angry first thing in the morning (i have several babies to sew for, and not a stitch begun. do you work for trades? i have a lot of alcohol.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little baby robes make Oona insanely angry... hehe!

    At the rate my friends are producing babies there's no way to work for trades. I'll be sewing my fingers to the bone for the rest of the year making baby gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a fabulous looking photoshoot. Such cute little kimonos. Looks like you're having a blast with your pattern drafting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, super cute!!! I for one would love you forever if I received this as a baby gift. Love the balloons too. That last photo where they loose the balloons...love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my god, these are gorgeous! I´m so jealous :). Really lovely, and I´m amazed that you made the pattern yourself! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love these... I somehow missed that you had done these from that book. I totally want to draft one now for my daughter in a toddler size!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you kidding me! This is so adorable! The robes the pictures, ahhh gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are you kidding me!!! Love the robes and the pictures! ahhh. . . so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you have this pattern for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karen! No, I dont. I sent you an email :)

      Delete
    2. I don't seem to have received any email

      Delete
    3. Ok, I thought you had your email address connected to your blogger profile. I see now it was a 'no reply.' I just sent you an email saying that I drafted this from a pattern book a few years ago and I don't have it for sale. I also have found, through use, that the hood is really too big. It works great for a little non-mobile baby that you wrap up after a bath. But not for a toddler on the move. I'd really like to redraft with a smaller hood. There is a good Simplicity pattern for a baby robe that is just a little fussier- it has set-in sleeves and a two piece hood. It's still available in their catalog. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much for your advice

      Delete