Aaaannnd.... I'm done. I do believe I've made enough skirts now. This is the last installment of my pattern drafting/skirt making adventure known as The Summer of No Pants. I whipped out all the other skirts really fast but this one took quite a bit longer. Too many pieces, I think. And some things were lost in translation on this variation.
The fabric is a shirting I bought well over a year ago, so I feel good about using up a stash fabric. And I used every little bit except for a few scraps. These peasant style skirts really use a lot of fabric. I played around with the stripes. I didn't bother matching them where they are on the bias. I figured they change color anyway.
Again I used my basic a-line skirt pattern I drafted using Design-It-Yourself Clothes. I cut the a-line skirt pattern shorter and added the two tiers like adding a ruffle, only longer. The ruffle at the very bottom was a last minute addition. I wanted a bit more length. It nearly killed me-- 135 inches of gathering, ruffling, hemming and pinning to match. Yuck. Something is not quite right about the yoke on this particular skirt. I used the yoke piece I drafted on the olive green linen twirly version and subtracted it from the original a-line skirt pattern. In hindsight, I probably should have drafted a new yoke from the a-line pattern. It ended up too wide. I took some of the width out at the side seams but the fit around the waist is not quite right. It sits down quite a bit lower than the other skirts. Can't win em' all. I'll still wear the skirt plenty. It's just not as nice as the others.
All in all, my tally is five skirts-- all variations of the basic a-line skirt pattern. Not too shabby. I'm tucking the pattern block away for future use. I've enjoyed the whole process of drafting a pattern based completely on my measurements. Lots of possibilities. I may even try out a basic trouser pattern block instead of fiddling with commercial patterns. I'll just add that to my ever-growing list of things to do... ;)