Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Shirt For J 2.0


Ok, this is version 2.0 of the shirt I made for J.  You can read about my mishap with the first version here.  He actually seems to really like the first version, but I just don't think his perfectionism will allow him to wear it out in a public setting.  He did wear it on vacation.  It was a great beach shirt.  I especially like Bernice's suggestion of making it his dancing shirt :D

 This version is absolutely identical to the teeny baby button down I made earlier this summer.  After I made the little version, J commented on how much he liked the fabric.  I liked the fabric, too.  I would call it a cotton gauze, though it was just labeled as a cotton shirting at the fabric store.  It's two very fine layers of cotton sort of fused together in places.  When you wash and dry it, it puckers up.  Could it be some sort of seersucker?  It's supposed to be wrinkly, but in these photos it's extra wrinkly from traveling.  Neither one of us felt like ironing anything on vacation.  The only downside is that it does need a really good pressing out of the wash or the fit is noticeably smaller.
 

 

I used McCalls 6044 again.  This time I cut a L instead of an XL.  I didn't make any changes except sewing the armscye seam in another 1/4".  The shoulder seems to sit very wide on this pattern.   I still think they are a tiny bit wide.   J is happy with the fit on this shirt, but I think there could be just a 1/4" to 1/2" more width through the belly.  Just a teensy, tiny bit more room.  I notice that he pulls it there when he puts it on.  It could also be that the crinkly fabric is clingy.  I kept the original shirttail hem on this version, which I like.  I also swayed J into letting me use pearl snaps again.  I love pearl snaps!  I must make something for myself with them.  It doesn't really pull at the snaps like in the photo below.  I think that must have been an awkward pose.  It's hard to make your husband pose for fifty photos from all different angles.  Although I'm pleased that he even posed at all.


I'm much happier with this second go at making J a shirt.  It was definitely easier the second time around.  I knew what to do and what to look out for.  Matching the stripes was tricky, but I think they match everywhere it counts.  I will definitely continue to make J shirts now that I've got a pattern that he likes.  Of course making J shirts will be spread out between selfish sewing.  Of course.


Oh man, take me back to St. John!  I need to hurry up and finish these vacation posts so I can stop pining away for island life ;)
  One more vacation garment to go...

14 comments:

  1. Very nice, I need to make my DH a shirt! This may be the one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great basic pattern. It's very, very simple. I like it, but I'm also on the lookout for a shirt pattern that has a back yoke.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, it's great! Very RTW - But better! It sounds like a double gauze to me... That fabric is really popular in Japan for clothing, hankies, and blankets in the hot summers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I just sewed up this very same shirt for my boyfriend as a bday present/promise of better fitting me-made shirt to come :) He's out of town on a birthday trip, but once he gets home I'm going to make him try it on and then adjust the pattern for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The first time around we did several fittings. This time I pretty much made it without any adjustments.

      Delete
  4. Love the photos - more mini-vacations for me! And the shirt looks fantastic. I love pearl snaps, too - so shiny. And it's great to get out the hammer again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I get so much satisfaction from taking the hammer to my sewing projects :)

      Delete
  5. The shirt looks great, very professional. I must make sure I don't let my hubby see this post, otherwise he'll want me to make him a shirt - this is just the style he likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! J is very particular, so I was happy when he said he liked this fabric. Now that I've sewn a couple of shirts for him, I feel like I have a better idea of what he likes.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, that fabric sounds really nice! It looks great and fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shirt looks fabulous. Very well done! But I have to say, you're making me look bad: I REFUSE to make anything for my husband...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous shirt :) Now you've perfected the fit on your husband's shirts he is going to want your custom made versions from now on! (don't ask em how I know... :))
    My shoes are by Francesco Morichetti, (and actually I always include all the details of my entire outfit including the shoes, at the end of each post in case you are interested :) ) These shoes are very comfy, like slipping on a pair of comfy slippers. I hope you find something like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that pattern (McCall's 6044) too! I've made my husband a couple shirts with it and both were a great success. And I think snaps really make people go, "Uh, you made that?!" because non-sewers can't fathom how you can do something like attach snaps to a shirt.

    ReplyDelete