Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Who Wears Short Shorts?

I do!

Ok, so they are not super short or anything but this is a big step for me.   I have not worn short shorts for several years now.   I feel silly for saying this, but I haven't worn shorts because as I got older and more, um, well-rounded, I always thought my legs looked funny.  I've always had big legs, this I know.  But really?  I can wear short shorts.  My legs are totally normal.  One positive of snapping so many pictures of myself over the last couple of years is that I have a much healthier image of myself.  Hope that doesn't sound too self-centered, but if you take photos of yourself you know what I mean.  This is what my legs look like.  And they are just fine.  They take me where I need to go.  Ok, enough of that.


Feel free to laugh at my fabric choices.  I'm kind of giggling myself.  I'm not sure why I chose such wacky fabric, but I did.   I know these will not be everyone's cup of tea.  I also don't blame you if you are laughing at my hot pink crocs.  I love them, but I try not to wear them in public.  Well, maybe I don't try too hard.   I made up both pairs of shorts from the Burda 6-2011 issue, number 111B because J and I are going to the Caribbean for a week before I go back to school.  I'm so excited!  The only plan we have is to lie on as many beaches as possible, snorkel, drink fruity drinks and generally act like pirates.  I can't wait.  These shorts fill a void in my wardrobe as I don't own any pair other than athletic shorts.  I think they'll be perfect for traipsing around a tropical island.
I chose this Burda pattern because it is simple.  No fly front, just an invisible zip at the side.  I figured it would be a safe bet for a trial pair of shorts.  I even left off the back pockets as I didn't want to have to worry about pocket placement.  This was an experiment.  I've always heard about how wonderful Burda's trouser block is but I've never made a pair of pants or shorts from a Burda pattern.  But now I'm a believer.  The fit is not perfect, but it is SO MUCH BETTER than both the Simplicity and Butterick patterns I've tried.  One observation between this pattern and the Big 4 patterns I've tried is that there is a lot more width in the back pieces compared to the front.  So Burda makes trouser patterns for people with butts.
  
I consider the blue batik pair to be more of a success than the crazy orange and pink pair.  I actually made the blue pair first.  Are you tired of batiks yet?  Well, sorry.  I had a small one yard piece of this batik from Hancock and I was happy to use it up.  The waistband is different by accident.  Don't decide to make a Burda magazine pattern when you are in a hurry.  I had a limited amount of time to sew when I made these and I was determined to finish.  I traced off the front, back and side seam pockets and cut out my fabric right away.   Then I settled in to sewing like a banshee before I realized I missed  the waistband pieces.  The navy polka dot fabric was lying on my sewing table and I was struck by how well it matched.  So I cut the waistband from it.  As I was cutting the waistband I had a moment of clarity where I realized I had not added in seam allowances on the other pieces I cut.  D'oh!  It worked, but just barely.  I think I'm pretty generous with my sizing most of the time.  I give myself some room for mistakes because I figure I can always take it in. 


Anyway, I won't ramble on.  Long story short, they fit but I didn't want to lose any length.  So I also cut a hem facing from the same polka dot fabric.  I like the little bit of weight it gives to the hem.  I did not pay one lick of attention to the instructions thinking that I knew better.  I didn't.  I put in the zip before I added the waistband (I put the zip in around a pocket, I might add ;) so my zip doesn't reach the top of waistband.  I made two button loops and threaded some cord elastic through to make the loops stretchy.  I actually think the stretchy loops are what make the waist fit better on the blue pair.   Hooray for elastic.

After all my screw ups and fixes on the fly, I figured I owed it to the pattern to make it up right.  So the pink pair of shorts are made properly; with seam allowances and following instructions.  They are okay.  A little too baggy, a tiny bit too long and there is a little bit of difference in the way the crotch fits.  The wrinkling at the front crotch is definitely more prominent on the pink pair.  But wait... is that a side seam split?

Why yes it is.  Thank you very much, Sherry! :)  I'm so excited to know how to add this fun little detail.  You may see this here quite often now.


Aaaaannnd, the back view.  It's alright.  I'm not sure I ever really like anything from the back view.  I'm a little worried about the print placement on the pink pair.  My main goal was to keep it symmetrical.  But if you look closely you can see...
 
  

...a face!

I'm not sure what my other options were.  They'll suffice for a Caribbean vacation whilst wearing a long tee.


Happy sewing, friends.  
I'll be sure to have a fruity drink for you.


54 comments:

  1. Okay maybe it's just me but I don't see a smiley face on the back of the orange batik pair. However, I do see two kewl pairs of shorts that will be perfect for the Caribbean vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! The face is subtle- but I know it's there! :)-

      Delete
  2. They look great! I love the colourful clothes you make! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I've been secretly wanting that pair of crocs for a couple of years! Damn them for coming out with a cute pair!

      Delete
    2. I wavered on buying these for a while. I thought, "do I really want to own a pair of crocs?" But I have to say, they are fabulous! I wear them constantly when I'm doing stuff around the house and in the yard.

      Delete
    3. I was a crocs hater too and those converted me... Except I walk a LOT on concrete and asphalt so the soles wore out after 6 months... :(

      Delete
  3. Yay for shorts! I'm a huge short fan. And yours definitely bring a smile to my face - so bright and happy! I especially love the dark blue polka dot addition (and hem facing) on the blue pair. Legs have long time been a troublesome focal point for me too. So I know exactly what you mean. But the older I get, the less fussed about it I am. It's case of 'if you don't like it, look somewhere else'. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your pins though. Pull 'em out with pride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I absolutely love the word "pins" for legs! I forgot about that one.

      Delete
  4. I love your shorts! They are awesome. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post - hope you have a great time (you and your shorts) on vacation. And yay to your leg acceptance - I totally get what you are saying there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, leg acceptance! That's funny, but true. I have accepted my legs :)- Thanks so much!

      Delete
  6. Have fun on your vacation!! Sip a few pina coladas for me as you lounge about poolside in your tropical shorts. I think all you "mistakes" made for an awesome pair of shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shorts, great legs, and to die for vacation! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. smiley face. smiley face is better than smiley face being devoured!!!

    please wear these constantly... please, for those of us who have failed miserably at shorts... i love the prints and oh god, the polka dots are a brilliant mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shorts look great! I'm adding colorful shorts to my ever-growing "to sew" list for after I finish the 4 projects I'm still in the middle of. I've seen several different shorts patterns recently, now it's a matter of which one to pick?? I'll have to take a look at the one you used. Super cute! Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to really recommend this Burda pattern. I was so pleased with the initial fit. This is the fit with absolutely no changes!

      Delete
  10. I completely get and appreciate your post. I've been wearing shorts this summer, though not self-made, for the first time in years. Yours are great and printed shorts in. Enjoy them on your fabulous vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh lovely! For what it's worth, I think you have lovely legs - is that weird to say? But even if you didn't, who cares? I'm with you, as I get older I care less and less. Most people don't notice the things about me that I think are so very obvious flaws, so I'm really just wasting valuable energy thinking about it.

    I've been wanting to sew shorts for a while now but I'm scared of pants :P This is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Sew some shorts first. I figure this is a good warm-up for pants. And I know what you mean about focusing on perceived flaws. What a waste of time.

      Delete
  12. Love em, everything about em. They look to me like the perfect pairs of shorts...and will totally enhance a Caribbean holiday...lucky you! Sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your legs are better than "normal!" The shorts are cute. I like the fun, loud prints. They are perfect for summer.
    I live in London now, and I never wear shorts. It's rare to see anyone in shorts and if you wear them people will really notice your legs. But, when I go back to Florida I do wear them. Everyone there is in shorts, even old ladies, so no one takes much notice of anyone's legs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the blue shorts! Lovely fabric!
    Uh, and the shoes, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ha, great minds think alike... or sweat alike, I guess. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fab, I was like you, would never think of wearing shorts now. I have a pair of cut down jeans shorts and wear them when am chilling at home or cleaning. And you now what they look cool. I would definitely be wearing them and have a couple of short patterns. Not sure what my problem was with shorts lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are just lovely! I adore the fabric for the pink pair! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are hardly words to describe quite how much I love your shorts. If I had to choose, I'd say the orange and pink are my favourite. You have great pins, girls - get them out! I hope you have a lovely holiday. You clearly work so hard, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look great and the material is marvellous. I have a theory that ALL women look better in short shorts rather than long ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that! Those longer shorts are really hard to wear right. I've seen it done, but have never done it myself.

      Delete
  21. These are fabulous shorts and I wish my legs looked that great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lookin' great Liza! Oh, I had a similar moment several years ago with my legs too. The funny fact was that I was satisfied with how my legs looked, but still felt over-exposed in short shorts. After a nice vacation in Spain, I felt much better and now I enjoy wearing my short shorts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it definitely has to do with living in a warmer climate. I probably wouldn't be so worried about wearing shorts if I lived somewhere cooler, but it's so darn hot here! And the thought of not having any shorts to go on vacation was enough of a push to get me sewing.

      Delete
  23. I think I will soon get up the courage to make AND wear shorts. I'm glad you've become confident to do so, because they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree, you have terrific legs!! I love the new shorts, so cheerful and fun for a holiday. I hope you have a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so helpful! I've been re-thinking my "no shorts" policy now that I can sew, and this post gives me some inspiration for next summer. And it's great to know that BurdaStyle gives space for a butt, since I do have one of those. I love the fabric and your experimental attitude. Have you thought about embroidering a wink on the face? A little "cheek-y" (hehehe) goodbye?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your shorts are delightful and you look great in them! And thanks for sharing your body-positive attitude - definitely something that I love about the sewing community!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are too funny! I love these shorts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous! I love the concept of that regular photographing of yourself has seen you make friends with yourself! I'm hoping it works for me!

    I love your t-shirt in the photo as well - which pattern did you use?

    Have a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I didn't make the tees (sad face). Believe it or not I actually bought them both at Kohls the other day for the trip. I was going to make some but would have had to order some jersey and it was just easier to buy a couple of tees.

      Delete
  29. Cute shorts. They will be perfect for your holiday.

    I found myself nodding my head about taking photos of yourself and improved body image. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are lovely! If only we had the weather for shorts where I live! Have a lovely holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your fabric combinations! These look so cozy and stylish- how often do you get both terms at once? Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was thinking about the same lately! Recently I saw some young girls in very short shorts and loved how thay looked. Then I saw cheap shorts in a shop and thought I could give it a try... I started wearing short shorts now when I´m 29 - I never wore them before as I thought my legs are not pretty enough :). So funny... And I feel great in my shorts :).

    ReplyDelete
  33. They look great, as do you! Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh yay for summer shorts! They look great on you! I only started wearing shorts last year while in Australia - it was just too hot not to wear them, and then I decided that I can actually live with the world seeing my legs. *g*
    I especially like the blue pair. Great save with the polka-dot waistband, it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The shorts are so cute and you have gorgeous legs too. have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Short shorts are a definite when the climes require it, for sure. And if you have the pins then you should flaunt them.... you do and so you now do :o).

    Very cute shorts and I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So cute! I have also not worn shorts for many years. I have finally been thinking about making a pair, maybe for next summer. And I agree that blogging has helped me view my body more favorably and I am far more willing to experiment with shapes and styles of clothing now. I love your colorful summer bottoms - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your legs are so pretty! I love what you wrote about photography leading to a stronger sense of self... I have DEFINITELY found this to be the case. Great shorts, too. Thanks for reminding me why it's 10000% more useful and positive to read sewing blogs than ladies' mags.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Finding a pattern with a butt is a Eureka moment! Great legs, great shorts and I love the vent at the hem...so practical for getting up and down and walking to the bar for another fruity drink...order lots and enjoy the compliments on your achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those are fabulous! I promise you can't see a face on your bum! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. So I know this is a bit late, but your shorts are cute! I didn't see the face until you pointed it out. And really, nobody should be staring at your rear long enough to see a face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. So I know this is a bit late, but your shorts are cute! I didn't see the face until you pointed it out. And really, nobody should be staring at your rear long enough to see a face! :)

    ReplyDelete