Saturday, December 8, 2012

Groovy Mama 2.0


I made another version of the same 1975 maternity pattern I posted about a couple of weeks ago.  I have worn the first version many times already.  It's comfy, roomy and I feel like it's funky enough that I don't feel like I'm wearing a huge maternity muumuu.  So I decided to make it again.  This time I tweaked a few things.
 
  

I lowered the darts 1/2" and I think they are just right now.  I straightened the shoulder seam ahead of time.  I made long, straight sleeves instead of the belled shorter sleeve.  And I added six more inches to the length.  The result is more dress than tunic.  It's perfect for wearing over leggings, whether that is fashionable or not.  I finally splurged and bought some maternity leggings and oh my gosh, why did I wait so long?!   Holy cow, they are so comfortable they make me want to cry when I put them on.  Like real tears of joy.  I'm going to have to look in to some actual maternity pants now.  I have three pairs of pants I can still wear at this point.  Two are my normal pants that have a lot of stretch.  They sit low, too, so the waist band sits beneath my belly.  The other pair of pants is an elastic waist, ponte knit pant my mom bought me recently (thanks, mom!).  I think I'm about ready for the real deal, stretchy belly maternity pants at this point.  I've been trying to wait as long as possible.


I love the a-line shape of this tunic/dress.  It's swingy and retro looking without being too in-your-face vintage.  I used a houndstooth double knit I found at Hancock.  It's synthetic, but its soft and warm.  I'll be able to wear this until the end of my pregnancy, I think.  Once again, I was too lazy to stabilize the knit before I hemmed the bottom edge.  It's pretty ripply.  Eh.  I can't be bothered.   I needed this to be quick and quick it was.  Start to finish it took me a couple of hours.


I also rounded off the points at the neckline.  I didn't like the way the corners looked on my first version so I used a round glass to shave off the point with a curve.  I did it when I sewed the  neck facing.  I had to top stitch afterwards because this synthetic knit does not press at all.  The facing kept shifting outside, even with understitching.  I really like the way the rounded edge looks, whether the collar stands up or flops over.


Maybe not the most exciting piece, but I definitely count this one as a win.  I know it will get lots and lots of wear.  I'm actually thinking about making one more version of this pattern.  Do I need the maxi version or would the volume be too much?  And just for posterity, this is the bump at almost 23 weeks.  Ack!  It's going by so fast!


24 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! I like the maxi version, but I can see what you mean about too much volume...depends on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have to be something very drape-y. I'm thinking a slinky jersey or maybe even a rayon challis. Hmmm......

      Delete
  2. You should definitely make more than one because this is so ute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! This looks so sweet on you! I really like the rounded corners at the neckline-- such a great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab-u-lous!!! That looks sooo comfy, and from now on that's what you want to be. Well, and cute too! There's something to be said for good maternity wear, not that you need much. But some key pieces sure make daily life with the bump much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really pretty! I love what you did with the neckline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous on you! The color and pattern is so subdued, but they really flatter you and your coloring. I would think the maxi version might be a bit much, unless you break it up somehow (color blocking?). Is that a real bird? Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a real bird! I was playing around in PicMonkey again. :)

      Delete
  7. I love this- what a great fabric choice- I love how you elevate the 70's cheese! Is it bad that I'd like most of your maternity wardrobe to just wear myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the 70's are my favorite decade. And I like a little bit of cheese sometimes! Lol!

      Delete
  8. i am of the opinion that pregnant women should get EVERYTHING they want. get a closet full of leggings!!

    this look is so cool, i think you would rock a maxi length.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tunic looks great and I know how soft and comfortable it must be. I have this fabric in the dark red black color combo. While I don't need a maternity tunic, I like seeing how the fabric looks made into a garment and the way it hangs so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw. I'm always amazed at what you do. If you do make the maxi, the waist should definitely come in or else you need a belt or something so it doesn't scream muumuu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is cute, especially the neckline. I think this would look adorable with a sash tied under the bust. Makes your belly look like a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look amazing! Love the tunic - perfect maternity wear! I think a maxi version in a solid color could be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this because it's an unusual shade and print for maternity wear. Fab to see you doing your own thing. As I type this I am lounging around in one of my V1179 dresses. Easy to make and I think would make fab maternity wear. Hint, hint!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dress. I think the rounded neck corners were a great idea. I didn't even notice the bird until I read the other comments and went back...I guess I was too busy looking at the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty-some trim at the neckline for the next one maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The top looks so cozy! And I like what you did to the collar - I'm going to try that on my next split neck. And I just saw your little baby robe (for some reason I stopped getting your blog by email - trying to fix) - so full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh how i wish i would have been sewing back in my preggo days! i always put off the maternity stretchy band pants as long as i could manage... always hated those. really like the houndstooth print, looks super comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cutie! And, I hear from friends that they never want to go back to real pants after maternity pants.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great on you. I love the subtle collar/neckline shaping detail.
    I think you should make another one at least ;). It looks comfortable and stylish.

    ReplyDelete