Monday, August 25, 2014

Some Basics


This may be my most favorite item I've ever sewn.  And it's so simple.  In fact, it was a really unexciting thing to sew.  A black sleeveless top.  Except for the pom poms, of course.  Yes, pom poms!  On adult clothes.  I'm a rebel.


I took all of these photos the same time I took photos of my Zoe dress. And I have to say, they are all pretty terrible.  I think I'm going to have to go back to the self timer if I can't figure out the focus with the remote.

Anyway, this black linen top is another version of Simplicity 1693.  Nothing much to say about it except that I absolutely love it.  I eliminated the center back seam and added the pom pom trim at the hem.  It has been worn once a week since I made it.  It has made me think a lot about the things I sew in terms of what actually gets worn regularly.  This top- check.


I also made a grey cotton jersey version of the Comino Cap Dress pattern by Kitschy Coo.  I like it, but I don't love it.  It's a simple cap sleeve bodice with an a-line skirt.  I think my fabric choice makes it a little frumpy.  However, it will get worn to work a lot.  I added in-seam pockets which was probably a mistake.  The skirt is not tight by any means. But it is also not full enough to hide the outline of the pockets.  I did not use the grey jersey for the pockets by the way. I am not a fan of knit pockets.  I used a black and white striped super stretchy twill.  I didn't get a photo, but you can see the stripe peeking out from the side.  Which is a fun little feature.  I added three inches of length since I am three inches taller than the height the pattern is drafted for.  I added one inch to the bodice and two to the skirt.  If I make this again, I'll scratch the length in the bodice and add it all in the skirt.


The neckline is pretty.  When I wear it to work, I will wear it with a little cardigan over it to dress it up.


After I made the Comino Cap dress, I had a big piece of grey jersey left.  This jersey is really thick and beefy.  Really good quality stuff from Mood.  My favorite kind of knit.  I really wanted a jersey skirt so I pulled out my half circle skirt pattern and sewed this up in about an hour.  Talk about instant gratification!  Elastic waist and a slight high low hem.  This skirt has also been worn once a week since it came off my sewing machine.


Notice a theme in my color choice lately?  When I wrote that post about all of my duds someone suggested sewing with fabrics that work together.  I know that is really just common sense advice, but it was sort of a light bulb moment for me.  I make a lot things that don't work together.  So I went on a small fabric buying binge (shhhh, don't tell J) and bought a bunch of black, white and grey fabrics.  And you know what?  It has worked.  A lot of my recent makes go together and are being worn regularly.  Anyway, I'll stop with all the black and white soon but it has been a nice way to beef up my wardrobe for going back to work.

27 comments:

  1. Look at you, making wearable basics! And solids, which is something I ought to do but never can face. Plus, frankly, they are all such great teacher clothes. Cute and fun but also modest and washable! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, black linen... I like the pom-poms on an otherwise restrained black top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each of the pieces is really nice, I can see how they'd be in heavy rotation. I also really love your shoes with the black top, those have been on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to add, picking a color scheme is a good way to get wearable items. I kind of do this automatically because whenever I hit upon a color combo I like I seam to repeat myself for a while.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I finally splurged and bought those shoes after pining for them for a while. They are really comfy. I wear them almost daily.

      Delete
  4. You have pom poms. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that productivity - you are on a roll, girl! And I LOVE those pom-poms! I'll be stealing that one - somehow I never thought about matched color trim to give a basic a little more pizzazz. That dress looks fantastic with the cardy - I bet you can wear it with tons of fun accessories. I am drawn to bold colors and prints in my fabric AND bold accessories, and I'm trying to make some more neutral garments so I have something to wear with the funky accessories. Nice work before school gets underway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually sew such basic things, but I'm glad I did. Although now I have the urge to sew something wild ;)

      Delete
  6. I love them all! And this is exactly what my wardrobe is lacking - separates that work together! I love your Comino Cap dress, wouldl you make it again? It looks great with a cardigan. I hope this gets you out of your rut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to make it again! But I think I might swap out the a-line skirt for something fuller- maybe a partial circle skirt. I might need to look in to the lady skater..

      Delete
  7. Cute! These are all great basics that look like they will get a lot accomplished in the wardrobe. They could also be easily mixed with more colorful pieces or each other really easily. Really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pom poms!! I would have never thought to do that. I have seen them and didn't know what they could be used for, so now I know! I really like all the makes. I especially like how you added the cardigan to the dress. It is a nice pop of color and totally changes it up. I think you do a great job with all of your pictures. I would like a new camera eventually, but then I remind myself, the kids take all my blog pics, so it has to be something they can still operate well and they can handle my ipad good enough. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have never guessed your photos were taken by iPad! They look great. You must have excellent photographers ;)

      Delete
  9. Ohmigosh, how much do I love that pom pom trim!!!! You look fab; both comfortable and stylish in these smart understated basics. I think this is "your" look :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all look great, and you seem so comfortable in them, which is the most important thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all your pieces - they look comfortable as well as smart for a busy day. But I am particularly taken with the dress and cardigan combination (going to have a look at that pattern!) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just love these sort of pieces! they're versatile and can be mix and matched a million ways. plus if you need some color, a scarf or chunky necklace always does the trick! glad you found your groove :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wearable basics get such a bad rap in the sewing blogosphere!! These are so perfect! And the fact that you are actually wearing them is the real win here!! I love that grey jersey dress with the cardigan. Such a cute work outfit! Great pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the pompoms are great. I love sewing black because they always get the most wear. hooray for wearable basics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pom poms! Yes! Love all these pieces- they're chic and so wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea to pick a limited colour palette and sew basics in solids. Both things I need to do. I absolutely love that long necklace too, I've been searching for one like that with no success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made that necklace. I bought some chunky ceramic beads at joanns and then strung them on a chain I already owned. Easy!

      Delete
  17. hehe I LOVE the little pom poms on your top! And I'm glad that your past few makes have been a success again :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tank top may look basic, but the pom pom trim is such a sneeky-cool touch! I be you could add all sorts of black trims to a simple black tank top (maybe other colors? not sure)
    The dress is really cute too, especially with the short cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pom-pom trim! I guess basics are not the most exciting sewing projects to plan, but it's so nice to make a piece that you reach for over and over. The gray dress is a nice blank canvas for accessories. Hope your back-to-school was easy and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clearly the fabric coordination idea was a good one. I was thinking how "elegant" your outfits were looking. The pompom top is really lovely; I can see why you'd wear that one frequently. The comino dress turned out well, too. I hadn't thought of adding pockets. Pockets in knit skirts, grrrr.

    ReplyDelete