Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I No Like It

Y'all.  My child.  Look at her.  She is figuring it all out.  Soaking it all up like a little sponge, making her own decisions and forming her own opinions.  I can't tell you how many times a day I hear, "No, I do it!"  It honestly is pretty awesome to watch most of the time.  However, not so much when this happens.


I made this really cute poncho using McCalls 6431 in a blue check fleece.  It's adorable.  I even made pom poms for the drawstring.  That's right, pom poms that I made.  I'm not sure why it's such a dud with her.  It's soft.  It has a hood.  Her response to it: "I no like it" and total refusal to wear it.  That was before even trying it on.  I took these photos the other day under heavy, heavy coercion.  And bribery with a tootsie roll pop.



The photos are hilarious.  I have snorted quite a few times while editing.  To be fair, the poncho is way big.  I think the main issue is that she doesn't know what to do with her arms, much like myself when I'm wearing my cape I made.  It's kind of like a toddler straight jacket.  If it was shorter so she could stick her arms out of the bottom (or if she was taller), it would work. Or maybe a poncho is just not a good idea for a toddler.  I made a size XS, which is listed as a 3-4.  And it definitely is.  She is wearing a 3T now in rtw, but just barely.  So I will put it away in the closet until next year.  Or possibly the year after when she's 4.  Maybe she'll change her mind about it by then.  She does like the pom poms.


The pattern is really simple.  Three pieces- front, back and hood.  I did deviate a little and line the hood so I could sew a casing for a drawstring.  I used a scrap of bamboo knit for the lining.  I knew it would be nice to be able to cinch the hood in.  Also because I wanted to add pom poms all along.  I made them with my pom pom maker and some really soft black yarn.  Not sure how they'll do in the washing machine, so they are just tacked on to the end of the drawstring and can be removed really easily.  I'll probably try washing them once just to see what happens.  I added two button holes at the front of the hood where I sewed the casing for the drawstring.  I did that before I sewed the lining to the hood.  I also made the button holes at the bottom of the poncho per pattern instructions but they are pretty crappy in fleece.  I should have stabilized them with something first.  They flop open and slip off the buttons easily.  I think I'm going to sew the button holes shut and sew snaps instead.  I'll just sew one of the buttons on top to cover up the button hole.  However, no rush since she's not likely to wear it any time soon.


She is a trip.  She's almost two and half and full of personality.  This picture below is me threatening not to give her the tootsie roll pop unless she smiles.  Cute little pattern.  I recommend it.  I actually am a little jealous of this poncho and would like something similar for myself.   I've been plotting one, maybe in some grey sweatshirt fleece.  Would that be ridiculous???


21 comments:

  1. Aw, bless her! She really isn't happy in it, is she? So adorable though. Could you go back and add arm slits - just a thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I saw a version that had arm slits when I googled the line drawing for this post. That really is a good idea.

      Delete
  2. So funny! So much fun sewing for little ones. Make one for yourself for sure! Matching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! So cute (and you have a great attitude) but heartbreaking! I remember making Syo a top under careful direction---she drew the design, picked the fabric and everything---and then within a few weeks it was in her bag of clothes to donate. >_< Hopefully the next one goes better! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Welcome to my world. I've been sewing for my girls for a long time now since they are 12. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't! If they don't like it, they will reluctantly put it in their closet and sometimes I will see it pulled out and worn, sometimes not. There are more wins than losses. What helped me is the realization that sometimes I don't like what I've made for me! LOL It is the nature of sewing. The poncho is super cute and the pictures are priceless. Bribery....ah yes. I use to do that too to get them to pose for a picture or even just try something on. I used M&Ms. I wish I could still get by with that. Now when I ask if they will try something on for a picture, I am told "not now, maybe later."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's easily bribed right now! Don't know what I'll do when that doesn't work anymore...

      Delete
  5. The poncho is adorable and she is hilarious - especially that forced smile. I guess she's a little picky about fit! Hopefully in a few years it will be a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so snuggly warm, children are funny! But it is too big for her. Put it away and maybe next year she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She made my day!!! Ever so cute and funny. The poncho is adorable even if she doesn't like it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable/hysterical! Best thing in my blog reader today :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bahaha she is hilarious! I was so devastated the first time Imogen told me she didn't like something I made her. Luckily I hid it for a week then pulled it out again and she decided she loved. So she will probably turn around and like it later on. It is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness... So funny! I mean, not funny that she doesn't like it, but at least the photos are hilarious! Especially the threatening to withhold the candy photo... priceless. Hopefully she'll grow into it and decide next year that she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Classic!!! It reminds me of when I made my daughter a "Rotten Tomato" costume for Halloween out of FELT - In TEXAS! My daughter was sweating to death in that thing! She kept trying to take it off!!!! Live and learn....good story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant photos. Your daughter is so cute. Her expression in the first one! It reminds me of my daughter of that age. She used to say "I no like it" too. BTW, I think that the cape is very cute and one in sweatshirt fabric would look great. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, she looks so cute! And she's a very demanding customer apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness this is so cute! I bet in a year or two, she'll really like it. It looks so cozy and I too would love one for myself! Those pictures are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Child after my own heart (and yours too, apparently!) - mobility first! The cape is just adorable, though - especially those poms - and I hope she comes around :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! This is so sweet. I love those pom poms. You should totally make a you-sized one! Of all of the many many things my mother sewed for me when I was little, I remember only being really crazy about ONE dress! And she made me a dog costume for preschool that I pitched a fit over. It was adorable, but not "pretty". You know, because being "adorable" is so not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, these photos made me giggle!! The cape looks adorable... maybe she'll forget about it and decide she likes it later! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww look at that annoyed face! She looked like an angry little “red” riding hood. LOL! Kids really have their opinion on things, don’t they? I am glad I stumbled upon your post while reading a site of my friend. I think I will make one for my niece, but hopefully she won’t make the same angry face at me!

    ReplyDelete