Sunday, October 4, 2015

Two More Versions...



...of McCalls 7115.  What is it with me and making things in threes?  It seems the last few projects have been done in threes.  The second and third versions are always easier than the first.  And I can apply some tweaks here and there.  Anyway, I won't write a ton about these two pieces since I reviewed this same pattern here- my denim dress.


 This is a simple, relaxed fitting pattern.  Once I tweaked the shoulder seam, I didn't have to really fit anything else.  There isn't any waist definition to this dress but for some reason it works.  Maybe because there is a seam there?  I love this version I made using a rayon poplin fabric.  I also just made my black culottes in the same fabric.  This was my first time using it, though.  I would say it drapes just like a rayon challis but is heavier and more opaque.  And there is almost a slight sheen to it.  I ordered this from fabric.com on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by the weight of it.  I don't need any sort of slip or anything under this dress.



I made view B, with the tiered skirt and cold shoulder detail.  Both of those design features get kind of lost in the psychedelic print.  But I like both nonetheless.  I did add an inch of length to both tiers.   The bottom tier of the dress is actually three pieces instead of two.  That wasn't apparent to me at first but I figured it out as I was sewing.  So my print placement is all over the place.  I also screwed up the print match at the front button placket a little.  I didn't stay stitch the neckline (and I can't remember if that is in the instructions- if it isn't, be sure to do it!) and it stretched out some from handling while sewing.  I had to shave a little off the front center to make the facing fit right and in the process messed up my perfectly matched print.  It's close enough.  I sewed the facing with a triple stitch again.  And I added pockets again, too.  This dress definitely needs pockets.  


I put a filter on these photos because the colors were so washed out for some reason.  The light is changing.  But this photo below of the shoulder splits doesn't have a filter on it and is a good representation of the colors in the fabric.


I did notice on my denim version that something was up with the hem.  There was a height difference in front even though I knew my hem was straight.  I thought maybe it was just the dress pulling backwards or something.  Valerie helped me figure it out and it makes perfect sense now.  When I made that shoulder adjustment to straighten out the shoulder seam, I removed a wedge of fabric.  I need to add that wedge back to keep the skirt from tilting up.  However, by the time I talked to Valerie about it, I had already made this dress and cut out my blouse below.  So both of these have that same tilt, though I think it's less apparent in fabrics with more drape.  If I make this again, (a fourth time!) which I might,  I'll fix it.  I'll add that wedge back in to the center front to make the skirt hang evenly.


The blouse version is the same view, but just one tier instead of two.  It's a new favorite.  It's been worn to death since I made it.  In fact, one of my students pointed out that I had worn the same top the week before when I wore it this past week.  I see classes once a week, so they notice if you wear something twice in a row.  It's made in a rayon challis I found at Joann's that I love.  I tried to just balance the print on the front since it's so patchwork-y and failed.  Look at that yellow section that almost matches.   It think it looks fine, though. 



Anyway, nice and easy pattern.  I think I'm done with it for now that the weather is changing.  But maybe I'll pull it out again next summer.

22 comments:

  1. Totally love both of these! A good opaque rayon has to be my favorite fabric to wear. And I really want a copy of the peplum top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh these are both lovely!! These fabrics are such gorgeous colours & bathrooms. That's funny you've got fashion critics in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern on you! That dropped waist hits at a flattering spot and your look fantastic in them both! but seriously - those shoes!!

    g

    ReplyDelete
  4. That split sleeve is the COOLEST! I feel like you are really in a groove of sewing things that absolutely suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha- cold shoulder version ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colors in both fabrics are awesome, perfect for fall

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great pieces! You used great fabric in pretty prints. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely garments. They look fantastic. I love your fabric choices and the "cold shoulder" dress is wonderful. This is such a versatile pattern and definitely a keeper. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both pieces look gorgeous on you Liza Jane. Nothing wrong with using patterns multiple times if you get such great results as these. I especially love the fabric of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! I do love this pattern as a dress, but I especially like it as a blouse! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this look on you! It's perfect as a dress and a blouse, and the patterned fabric you chose work so well with the design! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both of these, the fabric and the cut of both! You look great in them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both of these!! You have totally nailed boho chic with both these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never would have looked twice at this pattern, honestly, but you make this style look soooooo great! I really really like it as a blouse! I bet you're wearing the heck out of it! I would too! If I had your job I think I'd get comments about repeat outfits all the time, because that's just how I roll! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look great in both versions, wish that shape would suit me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh I like that top version!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think threes are definitely your thing. in fact, when i see a post form you, i expect to see it in three variations, and be seduced 3x more to make it myself. you got me into the 1/4 circle maxi skirt that way!

    these are delightful. that sleeve....!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this silohuette on you. Both versions look gorgeous. You picked the perfect fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, these are great! Love love love it as a top!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know which I like more: the dress or the top! Perfect fabric for both. Great job at print centering/matching. Love the sleeve detail. And with this style the slightly higher in the front part looks intentional. Now I really want to try making a drop wait dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I must have missed this with my move going on. I'm cutting this out and then thought, "I wonder who has made this?" I'm happy that this dress works so well. I'm excited about it!

    ReplyDelete