A friend of mine was wearing a long sleeve tee dress the other day (from Anthropologie, of course) and I decided I really wanted one. I wear maxi dresses in the summertime. Why not make a winter maxi? I had just finished my stripey green monster dress at the time. I was happy with that one but there were definitely a few fit issues. The main one being the extra fabric and ease at the lower back. I've never needed a sway back adjustment before, though. I think the issue was from the fact that I frankenpatterned a tee shirt pattern with my a-line skirt pattern.
Anyway, this time around I made a paper pattern and adjusted for the extra ease on the back piece. I pinched out a dart in the tee shirt pattern I was using (Burda 2-2011 again) and transferred the new shape to my pattern piece. It was all highly untechnical. Then I just free handed a curve out to the skirt portion of the pattern. My a-line skirt pattern was my guide. The length was a guess. It turned out okay. I mean, it is just a tee shirt dress after all. There's still some pooling at the back, but not as much. I could use a bit more length. But now I have a paper pattern to play with anyway.
The black knit is a cotton/rayon blend interlock. My body is not smooth enough for one thin tee shirt layer anymore so I underlined the whole thing with a periwinkle blue cheap polyester ITY knit. It gives it a nice drape but man, is it heavy! I had no idea it would pull downward so much. I used black braided elastic around the neckline to keep it from pulling too much and some twill tape at the shoulder seams.
I like the style and the silhouette. I can see this becoming a very useful pattern with a little more tweaking.
Hope everyone has a great week!