Sunday, February 3, 2013

Necessity is a Mother


Now is the time in pregnancy where I feel like it's important to have a sense of humor. 
 Otherwise I'd cry.


I feel like the Michelin man.  Or a stuffed sausage. Or Foghorn Leghorn (something about having all this weight up high on my body makes me feel like a rooster).  Baby went through a growth spurt last week, I believe.  The bump has all of a sudden expanded to basketball sized proportions.   It really is funny looking.  J and I giggle every night about this giant belly.  But we're so ready to meet the culprit.   I am 31 weeks now.  Only nine more weeks to go.  Holy cow.

Excuse the leaves in the photos.  Gutters were cleaned but I was too lazy to sweep aside the debris.  I'm back to feeling exhausted.  I think it's just from the physical side of carrying around so much extra weight.  I cut out fabric for the crib skirt yesterday, crawling around on my hands and knees on the hardwood floor and I felt the weight.  I had to put on some of J's knee pads.  

Anyway, I have run out of things to wear.  I don't have many things that fit anymore.  I have about five outfits that I can wear to work.  I just rotate the day I wear each item.  I've been looking longingly at the rest of my closet.  So I made a quick tee out of necessity.  I don't love it but it will have to do.  Pregnant girls can't be choosy.


I used my favorite Burda long sleeve tee pattern from the 2/2011 issue.  I decided to go slim fitting now that I have a big bump but I think it ended up a little too slim.  I cut my usual size and modified the front according to Zoe's maternity tutorial.  I didn't add any width, just length to ruche and I think that was a mistake.  That tutorial is a fantastic maternity tutorial for those lucky gals who only gain a bump and don't expand anywhere else.  I, on the other hand, have spread out all over.  I should have started with a size up.  If I make a maternity tee again (which I might soon) I'll add some width as well as length for the bump and I'll start my ruching down about an inch or so.

I did bands at all the hems to avoid battling the ripply hem.  I added a wide band at the neckline to look like a mock turtleneck.  I wanted a high neck to cover up my new bust line ;)   None of my stripes match because of the amount of fabric I had.  The stripe is really subtle on this knit so I think it's fine.

I can tell from wearing and from the photos that I need more width through the bust, shoulder and back.  My knit has super duper recovery, so a knit with less recovery may have fit better.  This knit has some spandex in it.  Anyway, it feels too slim for my tastes but that could also be personal preference.  It adds to my stuffed sausage feeling.  I'm wearing it anyway.  Like I said, it's a necessary tee.


We had our last ultrasound this past week.  We did one of those fun 3-d ultrasounds.  It was amazing.  We have confirmation that she is indeed a girl, so I can continue on with the pink.  And the ultrasound tech even spotted a little bit of hair on her head!  She kicks like crazy.   But then again, she hasn't stopped kicking like crazy since I first felt her.  It's a very surreal feeling.  I hope I don't sound too whiny when I talk about feeling super sized because I know how lucky I am to be able to experience this.  Every bit of it is worth it.  And it has all been fun- the good and the bad.   I can't wait to finally meet this little person who's been making such a fuss in my belly for last few months.

40 comments:

  1. Totally normal to feel a bit done with the oversized thing. No tidy bump for me, either. I swam during my second pregnancy and the best part about it was feeling light for 30 minutes at a stretch (well, I also have a fond memory of swimming faster than the one young guy who wandered into my mostly seniors pool - take that, not-pregnant person!). Anyway, I don't think this top looks too tight and the color is great for you. I love the collar - did you just cut a rectangle??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a rectangle. I cut a band like I would if I was going to just bind the edge but made it about 5 or so inches wide. I wasn't sure if it would look more turtleneck or more cowl when I sewed it on but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. You and the bump looking great. Good luck in the next weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To all of us who have been through this, you sound normal...not whiny at all! I do have to tell you that I tell friends that get pregnant to buy/make a lot of nice clothes which goes against conventional wisdom that you'll only wear these for a small amount of time so don't waste the money.

    Personally I found that when I had quite a few outfits to wear especially at the end that I didn't feel as gloomy because at least I had something cute to cover the ever-growing belly. I know this sounds incredibly shallow but your body is going through such changes, especially at the end, when the baby is getting so big that a nice outfit really helps with no longer being able to see your feet, or the fact that you move so slowly from the baby weight. If you have the energy make a few more tops and another B5679 dress, even if you throw it together. You will be amazed at how it helps...and it's only fabric!

    You are coming into the home stretch now...enjoy being just you and your husband because your little girl will be here before you know it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really good advice. I am working on a nice dress for upcoming baby showers. Maybe I should make another Butterick 5679. It sure is a comfy dress!

      Delete
  4. well you still look totally adorable in your pics. i on the other hand would not allow a camera anywhere near me during the last trimester. i felt like a beached whale! you don't sound whiny at all. pregnancy is hard! best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Poldapop, I don't think the top looks too tight and the colour is fab on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look gorgeous. The top definitely doesn't look too tight...for now. I was enormous with all my pregnancies - double your size. It's definitely worth making a few more tops like this one. It's so frustrating not having enough to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you are experiencing is beautiful. You look beautiful. I love the form fitting T. Show off that baby bump.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with Carolyn's comment! You are most certainly NOT whiny! I did not put forth much effort with my clothing while pregnant and I can see now that it really affected my mood. ANYTHING that makes you feel better at this time is worth it! And you can still get some wear out of the things you make right after you give birth when looser garments are the most comfy.

    Btw, I haven't forgotten about my dare! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look beautiful Liza Jane. The top is a stunning colour and I don't think it looks too tight, but you've got to be comfy and happy with how you feel...the 9 weeks will fly by!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look adorable! I feel like I say this about everything you make, but this color looks great on you! You must have a great eye for choosing colors that complement your coloring (either that or you just look good in everything)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha I know what you mean! At the end of my pregnancy I was an emotional roller coaster. You are looking fantastic by the way! By 31 weeks I was enormous. The worst part was I knew people who were having babies and I was like why the heck won't my baby hurry up and get out. I kept forgetting they were all like 10 weeks ahead of me in their pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look gorgeous!! Top is gorgeous too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know (well, really i have no clue but ya know) you must feel you look crazy but my god. you look so damn chic. not one bit lying. do you know how hard it is to type italics code in a blogger comment box on a gadget? THAT'S TRUTH, YO.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing! At 31 weeks I was a baby hippo. And somewhat cranky. I didn't like being so big and I had pelvic dysfunction which made it hard to get around.

    I really like your top - I want a non-pregnancy one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It actually looks really nice-that colour suits you. Cheer up, you'll be at the end soon and then a little bit further on you'll be chasing her all over the house and won't have any time for thinking XD Chin up etc!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stuffed-feeling or not, you look fantastic. Love the color of the top on you, too. It looks really nice and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know that no pregnant woman ever believes this, but you really don't look huge at all! Just cute and round. :-) I can't believe she will be here in less than 10 weeks! Pregnancy flies by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the tee and you do look so cute with your belly :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you mean about feeling huge and being tired. I'm at 31 weeks also, and I am beat. You look amazing, though! If you feel huge, you certainly don't look it. And your top looks great, too.

    I also used Sozo's tutorial on some Renfrew tops, and I added about an inch to the front and half an inch to the back, and they're still working for me. I used really cheap fabric, though, so they're pilling like mad, so I've tried to wear them a bit less. Which means I'm also running out of things to wear.

    I made a Jalie nursing top this week for when the baby's here, and it fit over my baby bump in a super stretchy knit. I made it sleeveless, so I can't exactly wear it in the dead of February, but it was super fast and easy. You might want to check it out! It's a great double-duty pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that pattern recommendation! I was planning on making a nursing top or nightgown for wearing at the hospital and afterward.

      Delete
  20. You and your belly look lovely! And I love this top on you, and like everybody else says, you don't look huge at all for being preggers - it's all relative. I love what Carolyn said about making up some nice clothes for the last bit, it really makes sense! With my 2nd one I did have to buy a new pair of pants at about 32 weeks or so, and it felt so nice to have something new when I was feeling so big!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh sweetie! I get that exact silhouette after eating and drinking too much - and I'm 25. I have the best E.T. stomach in the world. Never let your stomach's muscled 6-pack go to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You and your shirt look wonderful! Best wishes for the home stretch and congratulations on having a girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I got to the end I couldn't drive any more--the basketball strapped to my belly would get "caught" in the steering wheel. ;-) I think you look great, but I remember everyone telling me that I looked great when I felt like I must have looked like a beached whale or something....those hormones really do a number on a gal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look absolutely beautiful, you really do. I know it seems weird and awkward but to the world you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know late pregnancy makes you feel abit...stuffed (done it three times!!) but I actually think you look very neat. I think slim is the way to go :) I did tents for the first two when that was what pregnant women did, and trust me I looked like a bus! Also, this colour of navy/blue suits you and gives a nice focus to your pretty face x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, hang in there. You look lovely. During my first pregnancy we took side-on photos of me in my bikini every week. I know, right?!!! One only does that for one's first!!
    You are beautiful, and the weeks WILL go by and your little one will be here before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way I would do bikini photos right now!! Lol!

      Delete
  27. Really cute top, the ruching looks great. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was recently thinking about what I will wear after I deliver. I may need to make a couple of short sleeve tees since the weather will be warmer and I know I won't be back in my regular clothes right away.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much ladies for all the nice comments. Y'all sure know how to make a pregnant girl feel better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't apologise for being honest. Pregnancy isn't all beer and skittles and you don't have to enjoy every second. Ditto goes for parenting. There's so much guilt around being open and honest! I'm looking forward to seeing the product of sausage status, though you look very unsausage like to me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That top does look really comfy. Yes while you have some energy left, it probably goes without saying- breastfeeding access tops. I found it too uncomfortable sewing in those final weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This top is a keeper and absolutely does not look too tight. I was thinking your tummy was not really too big yet. Of course you always perceive yourself differently when pregnant than what everyone else sees. I think this will make a comfortable top postpartum, too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree with Carolyn. Make more pretty things for YOU. It is important to feel good about yourself when you are pregnant, and it can be hard work when you are missing your toes!
    You look great, and the top really suits you with the lovely colour. It doesn't look too tight, but you could always wear it as an underlayer with a sleeveless loose top over it if you are uncomfortable with the look.

    ReplyDelete